Prozac dosage/intake advice needed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just to keep it short, I was prescribed 20MG prozac, and recently upped the dosage to 40 mg. On 40 mg I felt quite sleepy, lethargic whole day.

Doctor tells me to cut the pill in half. But its a capsule (with powder inside). Is that ok ? To split capsules and take dosage ? I am not sure it will be exactly 20 mg each time. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've done it before. Kind of messy and tastes bad. What I do now is take the second 20mg capsule every other day which will effectively reduce you to 30mg a day.
    • Posted

Hi Karen so you take 20mg one day and 40 the next and keep doing it that way ? Xx
    • Posted

I was taking it that way until time for refills, which my doc gave me a new prescription for 20mg and 10mg to take each day.
    • Posted

I have only 40mg capsules with me now. And doc wants me to go down to 20mg/ day by cutting that in half. So maybe I will take 1 every 2 days ? 

I tried to explain all the powder stuff etc to the doc, but he wants me to show up at practice, which means copay and all that thing. 

• Posted

Yes - take 2 tablets every alternate days x
    • Posted

Sorry, maybe my original post was not clear.  Initial dose was 20 mg/day. Around 8th of Dec it was upped to 40mg/day. When I filled that prescription I got 40 mg capsules, so consume 1 each day. 

But it did not work out. I felt dizzy, sleepy during day on 40mg/day. So he suggests cut the tablet/capsule and take only half so I can be back on 20mg. As said above, its a pain to do so. 

• Posted

After reading a few times I thought maybe that your doctor was lowering your dose back to 20 mg. Seems odd that he would ask you to cut a 40 mg capsule in half. I would ask your pharmacist what he thinks of this. Thinking you should ask dr for a new prescription for 20 mg. 

Also when my doctor increased my dose from 20 to 40mg he did it slowly ....alternated 40 mg capsule one day the next 20mg only ......this dosage  averaged 30 mg per day. Did this alternate dose for a month then he upped dose to  40 mg every day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.