Prozac effectiveness?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just started Prozac 40mg about four weeks ago and though initially, I thought it  might be helping, I'm not so sure lately. I've been experiencing irrational fears, and an increase in crying spells. I'm so worried that nothing will work as I don't feel like myself. I've been suffering with anxiety and depression now for eight months. In April of 2016, I was finishing up grad school when I had a panic attack. The doctor put me on Klonopin and I returned to him a few weeks later to get off the benzo. He placed me on Lexapro and I had a reaction to it (uncontrollable crying). I then foolishly took myself down too far off the Klonopin-from 1 1/2 mg to .5; this threw me into a tailspin-no sleep for days and dp/dr feelings. I went to another doctor who placed me back on Lexapro as she knew I had had success with it years ago. Again, the incessant crying and brain fog would continue. PCP kept pushing me to 40mg. I could not take it any longer and tried to find a psychiatrist but all were booked except for a telemedicine practice. This psych PA lowered my Lex to 10 and added Buspar...didn't work; then CT'd me....I went to a clinic about four weeks later where they did a battery of tests: low vit D, B12, Folate and testosterone....They placed me on Prozac 40mg...I've been on it now four weeks with little let up in symptoms. I've never had this much trouble with meds...they always worked in the past. Now, I feel alien-spacey, afraid, tearful...The genetic test I did while at the clinic showed that ssri's would pose an intermed risk with me...Effexor and Wellbutrin were better matches but I was afraid to try them. My question is...is it worth staying on the prozac in hopes it will eventually work or is this a lost cause? I'm truly so desperate and frustrated.

0 likes, 122 replies

122 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi!I feel for you!I was on celexa for five years and got weaned off when I was pregnant and two years later all my anxiety OCD came back!!I tried celexa again and had an extreme reaction to it,burning hot flashes,extreme panic,racing thoughts,unable to sit still,pacing..I lasted two days and quit!I am now on 5 weeks of Prozac!My doc started me on 5 then to 10 a week then 15 a week and now 20 for the past ten days!I have been on it 5 weeks tomorrow!Lethargy has been my main symptom with some chills and shaking on occasion and bad crying spells!I have anxiety and OCD,w I guess depression!I was training for a half marathon and had a panic attack out of nowhere and it's been downhill from there!I feel like I am fighting for my life!I have four kids and am trying to be their mom and fight my head at the same time!Its horrible to be in this place!I lost my mom and grandma to a drunk driver when I was a teen and I am 40 now and my mom was 40 when she was killed!Her birthday is Christmas too so this is a bad week anyways!I am scared Prozac won't work!Dont notice it helping yet!I guess I should of seen this coming!They thought my husband had stage 4 cancer last ur but he didn't Thank God!I survived this anxiety in 2007 after a miscarriage and Bieng poisoned by flagyl within weeks of each other!Cant understand why celexa didn't work for me again!Scary!!

• Posted

Hi Monica...I'm sorry about the many losses you've had. I've had so many too; lost my dad and both brothers; one this past summer. I had a panic attack while in grad school and never finished thanks to being on this dead end merry go round of meds that haven't worked. I'm not sure the Prozac is going to work for me either. I feel very disassociated on it which is super scary. I've never tried Celexa.. You might try having a genetic test to see what meds best suit you. I did and ssri's obviously don't mesh well with me but I opted for Prozac b/c I thought it might help the derealization I've experienced. I feel so odd in my head. Every day is a struggle. I understand about being a mom-I am one to a 14 year old and can barely take care of him-my mother does it all. I feel horribly b/c it's my duty but I can't function. I'm hoping the prozac will work for me too. Hang in there and prayers your way.

• Posted

I did do the genetic test this time after my reaction to celexa and celexa was in my yellow category as a caution med but I took it for five yes no problem and loved it!!Prozac was in my good column!I don't know how much I believe in these test but I know something will work for you!I was so bad last time because I was poisoned by an antibiotic that I wasn't supposed to even be on,they thought I had an infection from my miscarriage but I didn't and I had a seizure on the antibiotic and it messed up my nervous system bad and gave me CNS toxicity!I was solo bad and lost so much weight and didn't sleep at all and barely made it !I went through five different meds to find celexa last time!But I completely recovered and that was ten years ago!I think my recent bout of stress brought my anxiety back after all this time!You will recover I know you will!

• Posted

Hi Monica..

I was on Celexa for 16 years and it pooped out on me. I came off it for a year somewhere in that time and felt when I went back on it I was never the same. My Doctor told me that now that I was in my 40's other things start coming into play and my body chemistry may be different. I would suggest you ask for a full hormone test to be done on you. I have been on Prozac for about 15 weeks and slowly increased to 40mg. I feel a million times better than I ever did on Celexa and have even managed to lose approx 25 pounds in that time. It did take a while to get into my system and my doc said that he knew 20mg would never be enough when he started. Do not give up!

• Posted

Oh thank you so much for the reply!I am glad it worked for you!!!Did you feel any better when you were on the 20?I have OCD and need a higher dose I am sure!My doc is raising me up five mg at a time so I am doing 25 next week!I haven't noticed any real improvement yet.

• Posted

I have been on it 5 weeks today!I have been on 20 mg almost two weeks of the five.
    • Posted

I don't know Monica...this has been so long and I feel so off. I have a terrible doctor too who doesn't listen...My anxiety is sky high and  I can't function. I was so hoping that genetic test would prove worthy. I'm sorry about the problem you had with the antibiotic. I am sensitive to meds too...

• Posted

Call around and beg to see someone else!Be persistent!I got into a doc fast by Bieng persistent!google names of docs in best docs in your area!
    • Posted

Thank you Monica...I've been everywhere; even to a clinic...thought I would get help but it didn't work

• Posted

I started to feel a tiny bit better on 20mg but still felt way off. Then I upped to 30mg for 10 days and once I hit 30mg my life started to change for the better. I knew 30mg was just making me feel better though so we increased to 40mg to make sure it really kicked in... that and cutting tablets in half is annoying!!  I did feel some side effects when increasing but they were way milder than when first starting out. I also find side effects always kicked in the worst around the 3-5th week of any increase. They then tapered off after that. I honestly feel so clear headed now.. I must have been a walking zombie for the last 15 years on celexa.. I kid you not it is like I got my vision back. 
    • Posted

I think yours will come good as well. Really until you get to 20mg the rest are just tiny doses. They work for some people but as my Doctor (who has been my family Doctor for about 30 years and is brilliant) said 20mg is when you start getting into the real dose. Some people only need the baby bits to get them through but for most people the baby bits are the 20mg and then go up from there. I increased in doses of 10mg each time and was fine with it. But I also switched straight out of Celexa and onto Prozac with no break inbetween. You will find that magic number... just stay with it.. trust me it does get better!
    • Posted

I so hope so...I'm so afraid....I've never felt so off mentally in my life and super high anxiety; just feels this nightmare will never end. I don't have a good doctor or psychiatrist....they don't seem to know what to do. Every day that passes, I feel I inch closer to insitutionalization. I've never had mental illness in my life until these meds...so afraid.

• Posted

Thank you for the positive insight!I hope Prozac will work for me!I have only been on the 20 for two weeks!I have been on it five weeks total!My week 4 was really bad!!!!!I was crying so badly and felt bad!!So glad you like it though!I don't know if I will have the same luck!It has been fairly gentle to me so far though!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.