Prozac for depression and anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone I need some help please, today was my first day on fluoxetine 20mg is now 12am and I can't sleep, I have a 3 month old that will wake up to eat in 3 hours, my body feels shaky and a lot of anxiety, I took half of alprazolam to help me relax, cried all day and I'm very tired and sleepy but my brain won't shut down, the past 3 days I been having suicidal thoughts, but I have 5 beautiful kids that need me, will this medicine help me get rid of this horrible thoughts? I know it will take time but I just want to feel better, I'm desperate, I feel like I can't take it anymore, I will also start therapy next week, but I need help please. Thank you.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi dana84408,

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologise for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help. 

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen. 

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need. 

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help. 

If you are based outside of the UK. 

The Samaritans is a UK based charity, but they also have suggestions for how you can access help in other countries.

Please have a look at this page https://www.befrienders.org/directory

• Posted

Dana, when I stared out on fluoxetine 20mg I had the exact same symptoms; including unrelenting nausea, and heightened anxiety too.  Miserable...  I kept reminding myself that this was temporary and my body chemistry is simply adjusting to this powerful medication and that this would eventually subside and I’d feel better.  And it did!   It may be that this is not the right medicine (fit) for you, but I do know that most ADs have an initial period (usually 3-6wks) whereby you experience degrees of side effects.  Important: Make sure and stay in contact with your doctor/therapist to work with you.  Also, try to incorporate some other techniques to help comfort you (if you can fit it in).  Ie: Mindfulness and meditation, yoga/exercise, breathing and relaxation techniques etc.  You have your hands full I know, and it’s good your reaching out, asking questions, and sharing.  Keep doing that.  Please know that there are a lot of people here that care, have firsthand knowledge/experience of what your going through, and want you to overcome.  Don’t give up.  We can do this together...
    • Posted

Yes I went to the doc today and he told me to start at 10mg for a week, and then 20mg abd eventually 40mg, thanks for your help.
    • Posted

Tsea, how long till it settled for you? I’m on day 2 if 20mg. I was on 10mg for 10 days before that. I feel terrible. Nausea, insomnia and hightened anxiety.
  • Posted

Dana-please hang in there.  Fluoxetine 20 mgs made me a happy person!   Life was so good on it.  Give it a little time.  I know it’s so hard considering what you are going thru.  And yes please keep in touch with your Doctor & therapist & us.  We are here for you always.  

xxx

• Posted

Hey Dana! Are you starting to feel better?
    • Posted

Hi rylee mentally yes but not fysical I have a lot of side effects, but I'm hanging there, I know it will take time, I'm slowly trying to get out of that ugly dark hole.

• Posted

hi everyone...I started 10 mg 3 days ago and HAD to get off. my anxiety and nervousness from it was OFF THE CHARTS. I had to take klonopin to finally fall asleep. I am on my first day of not taking it (was only on 3 days) and still feel terrible. any ideas for help with these awful side effects?
    • Posted

I had a similar experience before on a different SSRI. Unfortunately just allow it to pass until it’s out of your system. You can try Diazepam or something like that to get some relief in the meantime.
    • Posted

Thank you Rylee- the nervousness is unbearable. Do you remember how long until you felt better?
    • Posted

The SSRI I took had a shorter half life than Fluoxetine. You’ll start to feel better each day that passes and you should be all good by one week on Fluoxetine I’d say x
    • Posted

Yes... I had to. Horrific anxiety. I just couldn’t deal with it. No sleep, not eating, racing thoughts, couldn’t sit still, etc. 
    • Posted

How long did it take to feel better when you stopped? I don’t know if I can stick it out anymore.
    • Posted

Well, I’ve been off 4 days now and am slowly getting better. Today I just had a little anxiety for about 3 hours and am still very hypervigalent. It was the worst experience of my entire life. The first two days after getting off were hard.
    • Posted

Rylee- were you able to stick out the Prozac? I felt good for about 2 days and then back down hill with the anxiety and severe restlessness. :-( I still feel just as awful. any update from you??
    • Posted

I had 4 days of feeling like my old self and then crashed with panic and feeling low again. Everyone is telling me to keep going so that’s what I’m doing and just hoping it works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.