Prozac for menopause

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started to be premenopausal about 7 years ago with mild symptoms. They gradually got worse to the point where my gp gave me hrt. Everything was good untill 6 weeks in and i bled heaverly. Back to gp and stop hrt all the symptoms came back ten fold. Three lots of different hrt and 2 years on and feeling awful, tired, angry, depressed, not sleeping, hot flushes over reacting to simple things and back to the gp to have a marina coil fitted but no hope with a large fybroid taking up residence in my womb !!! S*** what do i do now!

My doctor said lets try prozac !!!! What?? antidepressants, no thankyou.

Back home to dread.

Two weeks in and i phone gp and said ok lets try them.

20mg taken in the morning because i dont sleep if i take them at night and hey presto i feel normal again.

Flushes haven't gone completely but are suppressed so bearable, no more anger, i feel calm. Motivation has returned. I still find a week in the month where im tired more than usual but i think that maybe im still having some sort of cycle so ignore it.

The menopause syptoms are deminishing, i know that and the prozac has been my friend thankgod

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie,

About 158 years ago, my OB-GYN put me on Prozac for the exact same symptoms as you. I've ben on it ever since & it was a true Godsend. If I have to be on it the rest of my life, so be it. I don't care. Life is good now!

Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Just read both your posts on here a few days ago, today I started taking 20mg Fluoxetine tablet for the menopause and the terrible symptoms I have been having for the past twelve months. I am confident reading other posts that they will help me get through this bad period of my life. Its the insomnia and the sweating and over reacting that I can't cope with anymore. Apparently its an alternative to HRT my doctor tells me.

I'll be putting progress reports on and I hope to read other peoples experience as well.

• Posted

ive been on fluoxetine for nearly 12 months for menopause symptoms.

it was my only option because i cant take HrT.

Its been my life saviour, it doesnt get rid of the symptoms completely but has helped and eased them so i now feel normal again.

• Posted

Same for me. My Ob-Gyn put me on it about 12 years ago & if I have to be on it the rest of my life, so what! (I'm 60 years old) It has made me feel "normal" again.Good Luck to you Julie & all of us actually!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.