Prozac for obsessive thought?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys! I’ve been on remeron for about three months now, and I’m tapering off of them currently because it didn’t do anything for my anxiety. My doctor prescribed me Prozac to help control the obsessive thoughts.. did it help anyone else with their anxiety and obsessive thoughts? I know everyone’s different but I just want to get an idea. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I hate your going through this it all sucks.  But maybe I can be encouraging.   My doc put me on Prozac for ocd thoughts after major back surgery.   I couldn’t control feelings of getting hurt again.   My mind would go and I couldn’t control the thoughts and then my anxiety would kick in.   I have been on it for 7 weeks now and can really feel a change....and my hubby can see it.  My doc upped my dose 2 weeks ago.   It has been a rollercoaster with side effects but it’s all leveling out now and I haven’t felt this great in a LONG time!!! Hang in there and hopefully it works for you!! 
    • Posted

Thank you so much! So it’s worked with the thoughts? Because I’m constantly worried about something happening to me, always worried I have something wrong, etc and I’m only 15! I’ve had so many tests done and everything comes back normal, just cannot shake the obsessive thoughts. Glad the meds work for you, and I really hope they continue to work! 
  • Posted

Shelby - obsessive thoughts are only present because they're a side effect of anxiety.  The thoughts then produce more anxiety so you get stuck in a cycle.  No anxiety then no thoughts.  Yes Prozac will help you become anxiety free and also obsessive thought free too.

Don't expect to feel well for a long time yet though - these meds can take 3-4 months before you even feel the slightest inkling of anything positive, but keep going.  It can be 6-9 months.  

Expect to feel worse to start with as these meds heighten symptoms before settling.  When things settle then expect the symptoms to come and go, sometimes it feels like you're going backwards (setbacks / blips).  This is perfectly normal and doesn't mean you're ill again - in fact it means the meds are working.

Seriously worth sticking it through.

K x

• Posted

Hi there!  When I first started Prozac I would have the intrusive/obsessive thoughts, after a couple of weeks they faded away, now I just have real vivid dreams,  but nothing bad.
    • Posted

I have OCD which the obsession of thoughts of what ifs going round and round doing my head in. Currently on setraline was contemplating going on venlafaxine, but after reading into to it.. seeing docuagain Monday morning regarding going onto fluoxetine maybe. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.