Prozac is draining my life force

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started taking Prozac after it was recommended to me by a psychiatrist. I've been on it for almost a full two months but I don't think I can handle it anymore. I have no appetite, I'm chronically depressed and experiencing really bad thoughts. I also have a hard time being around people..like I nolonger enjoy the company of others and I rarely leave my apartment. I called out from work on Friday because I felt that if I left my bed I could have ended up harming myself. I think I should stop taking it but I wonder if there are any side effects to quitting cold turkey?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you can ring his secretary and ask for an urgent appointment or failing that talk to your Doctor. Prozac is really old school now there are much more modern antidepressants with far less side effects. I remember the first few days I was on Prozac my body lost the ability to regulate temperature and one night, I lived alone, I lay on the floor without clothes. I got used to it over time but there are much better alternatives. Don't risk stopping until you have spoken to someone though. Best of luck.

• Posted

Do not quit the medication cold turkey.

Please make an appointment as soon as possible to go to your doctor. 

I am not a medical professional, however it would seem to me that this particular medication does not agree with you and it probably needs to be weaned down and changed to something else.

In my personal experience dealing with PTSD, medication was of no use to me. I had very favorable results from cognitive behavioural therapy. I was on citalophram to deal with depression and was changed over to effexor when the citalophram ceased to work for me. 

I wish you luck in dealing with your issues ! 

There is hope....

• Posted

Hi Shatera,  I read your post with interest,  I know the name Proactive too well,  I was put on it after my grandfather's death only to wean myself off it years later.  It's a vile drug in the end is the only cure for depression a tonne of drugs? It's about time we were given something else to treat it.  I have vowed to never touch it again! Get some other alternative help,  you probably don't need antidepressants! I walk each day,  talk,  have counselling at present as the assaults I endured would be enough to top any over the edge.  That did me.  I'm slowly recovering.  Very.  Good luck to you,  look after you no-one else will. 

• Posted

Hi Shateara, 

I know that every medication affects every person differently etc., etc. 

I have tried numerous SSRIs and SNRIs and antidepressants. They ALWAYS end up making me more severely depressed and much worse off than before I started them,. No psychiatrist will agree with me but I stand by that the person taking the meds knows how it affects them more than someone who read about it. Yes, they went to school for ten years or however long, but we are the ones that take it. 

Recently, I was prescribed prazosin for ptsd. It is actually a hypertension medication that lowers your blood pressure. It is prescribed off label for nightmares associated with ptsd symptoms. Having been on it for a few months now, I can say it helps with the general overload of adrenaline and jumpiness that comes with ptsd. It's no antidepressant, it's not as strong or powerful, it's not as much of a kick in the brain as things like prozac, it doesn'e elevate your mood or make you "happy," but it really helps with that general "always on super high alert" (hypervigilance?)  tension or fear or whatever doctors call it. 

Like I said, it's no antidepressant, it doesn't make you happier or give you more energy or anything like that, but for pure ptsd, it has been a godsend for me. I am surprised that it is not talked about more nor prescribed more for ptsd. From what I've read online, they prescribe it for nightmares related to ptsd but I am not the only one that says it helps with ptsd in general throughout the day and not just nightmares. 

My psychiatrist called it "trash" and wanted to take me off of it. When I told him it helps with me ptsd, he said "That's not what it's prescribed for! It's for nightmares!" (He's a new psychiatrist because my old one got another job or something." 

I stand by that we the people taking the meds know how it affects us more than a person that read about it for a very long time. For as many years as he read about it, I took them. 

For me, SSRIs like prozac and zoloft eventually made my depression a LOT worse before turning me into a zombie who couldnt react properly to things around me. Do I wish there was an antidepressant that worked for me? Yes. But I've tried tons over the last 15 years. Prazosin helps with ptsd. A lot. 

If you are looking for something for your ptsd and not depression/mdd, try asking your doctor about prazosin. 

Exercise and eating and forcing myself to do things somewhat helps with the mdd. But nothing seemed to be helping with that needing to run, scream or die feeling that ptsd had me in constantly. Prazosin helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.