Prozac stopped working after 9 weeks??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anyone had prozac stop working? Ive been on and off Prozac for 20+ years. Last year i weened down from 40 to 5mg. anxiety and catastrophic thinking came back. went back up to 20mg on 9/8/19, then to 30mg on 10/8, then 40mg on 10/26. Felt good from 11/26-12/27. Since 12/27 feels like im back tk square one and its not working. Having to take .5mg of lorazepam once a day the past four days to get by....ugh.

Anyone else have this happen? Not sure if its a blip, or i need to increase dosage again or try a new med

Can prozac just stop working for people?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I was on prozac for 3 weeks and felt more terrible though my panic attack. I took the initiative to stop completely and to me it's been the best decision of my life. I feel great. instead of medication do meditation and yoga.

• Posted

I was on prozac for 3 weeks and felt more terrible though my panic attack. I took the initiative to stop completely and to me it's been the best decision of my life. I feel great. instead of medication do meditation and yoga.

• Posted

• Posted

I'm thinking it's just a blip. You felt good for a month!Wait it out a bit before you make a decision. I know it's tough to do. I'm on 20 mgs (2nd time around) & I don't feel like it's doing as much for me now as it did before.I am having anxious feelings almost daily, so I have to take Xanax prescribed by my psychiatrist.

Keep in touch with us.

• Posted

thats what im hoping. how much xanax do you take and for how long. i have been taking .5mg of lorazepam the past 4 days. worried ill get addicted. or is that for people who take a bigger dose and for a long time?

• Posted

i am prescribed .5 xanax to take every 8 hrs if meed be sometimes i only need 1 a day sometimes 2 been taking for a few months now I'm 61 years old

if i need them, i need themat my age-I'm not worried too much about addiction

• Posted

Doc told me SSRiI doesn't cause tolerance. Pharmacist told me it does. I don't know.

I was on Lexapro for a long time till i stopped it 5 years ago.

When i got severe depression this time (burned out from work) Lexapro didn't work for me even with higher dosage.

• Posted

I used to take Lorazepam 2.5mg for anxiety. But it makes my "dissociation" worseDoc prescribed "Hydroxyzine" (antihistamine) for anxiety.

For me, it works.

• Posted

I had Prozac stop working but was only on it for about two weeks. Unfortunately, it worked very well when I started it but after some time my moods were like a roller coaster. I still feel that particular medication worked the best (when it worked).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.