Prozac terrible side effects

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi anyone,

im having a very difficult time adjusting to flou. I'm in my 3rd week and terrible anxiety, nausea and drepression. Some days I don't think I will be able to continue on. 

I took it for about 20 years and then it pooped out on me. Tried Zoloft and cipralex but they didn't really do much. My doctor said it was reasonable to try it again as it would be new to my system as I was off of it for 4 years.

I never had any side effects the first time I took Prozac.  I keep reading hang in there it takes 6 to 8 weeks. 

I just want to cry and wish I could sleep to get away from this pain.

Can anyone please give me some insight and hope?

thank you

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laurie....I took prozac for 6 years and thought I was doing great and I wanted to wean off so 4 months later I was in the last week of my last pill and our daughter passed away as well as our other daughter left her husband partly do to her breaking down from her sisters death.  Well I hung in there for 4 months and decided to go back on prozac.  I will tell you the restart was very hard more side effects which I didn't have any the first time.  I am 5 weeks in went from 20 mg to 30 mg 2 weeks ago,  I am still waiting to really feel better but I think that it will take a while longer.  Hang in there I take mine at night it does help me sleep so some of the worse side effects were when I was sleeping but I did wake up to depression and that hung around till the evening.  It is better now but I am still not 100 % everyone is different as to how long it takes to start feeling better but you sound pretty normal it gets worse before it gets better but it will.

• Posted

Thank you Jan,

i am so very sorry for the loss of your daughter. 

I believe that in time your depression will hopefully lift and you will be able to see and feel happiness in your life again.

For me the doctors believe it is a chemical imbalance. I am having such horrible anxiety, depression and gut wrenching nausea that I don't want to live with this pain anymore. I know I must sound weak but I have tired so hard and done everything I have been told to with no relief. Nothing seems to be working. 

I wish I could just feel better, normal, at peace.

• Posted

Hi Laurie, I'm just in front of you, I took tablet number 24 today (1x20mg per day), my first 3 and half weeks have been very topsy tervy, I've had some good day, some bad days, some average days, some awful days and a few tearful days as well.

From what I've read what you're going thru is normal and it's still early days, I'm no expert on fluox but 6-8 weeks or longer seems about right from the posts on this site and reviews on other sites, I've read very few getting benefit from less than 6 weeks. All the very best

• Posted

Thanks Luke,

i have just spoken to my doctor and am heading back into the hospital.

i won't be able to use my computer for awhile.

hopefully we can get things going in a positive direction soon. 

Im feeling suicidal right now and it's best if I'm in the hospital.

thank you so much for your kindness.

• Posted

hi Luke,

i have been admitted and will see my own Pysch. tomorrow.

lets hope I can get things worked out.

thank youfor your kind words. they dohelp

• Posted

Hey laurie. I was on Prozac for two years and then left it for a year and now back on it since 4 months. It's an unpredictable medicine I must say. I didn't have any side effects the first time and even the second time until the last 1 week which was after the usual stated period of side effects (first 2 months) but I'd suggest u to stay in touch with your psychiatrist/psychologist and hang in there. Know one can be a best counsellor for you than yourself. Never and ever lose hope Cus it's all in your mind. You can have control over it just need to strengthen that will power!! I have bad headaches nausea drowsiness and derealization as side effects atm but I end up engaging myself into activities for distraction and it helps smile the more you'll attend it the more you'll feel it and also feed it to grow. Best of luck smile

• Posted

Hi i am just wondering how you are doing now?

I feel i am in the same position myself and have a meeting with my consultant tomorrow.feel like i am going crazy.constant derealization

• Posted

Hey, I’m sorry it’s been 3 months since u posted? U are the latest one I could see!!  I am feeling like I’m going mad? And no one else understands !! I can’t go out!! I can’t even answer my phone!!!! 

It is a living nightmare, I would never of taken them if I knew the were Prozac!! As they have changed the brand name!!! I took them when I was 16 and had a similar effect, it’s terrible. Doctors don’t know how bloody bad it is!!!!! U feel like death is a good way out!!! I have never thought that before !!! They need to be banned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Carrie xx

• Posted

HEY , I’m having massive problems with just coming off it!!! I took it for 2 weeks and 3 weeks later I feel like a mad woman 😱😱😱 

They need to tell people how bad it is!!! 

Also they changed the name!! Sneaky!!  

I hope u are ok? It will get better? Apparently?? 

Carrie 😊??????????

• Posted

Laurie,

I've been having the same side effects which is: I've been on them for years and then I went off and then 6 months into it I started having anxiety attacks. I am now back on it at week 4 and my anxieties are worse. I am going to go off of it again but we need to do this very slowly. I noticed that this medication makes it hard for me to think and I believe it's bad for your memory! I think that's what I read up above about having that surreal feeling..

There are "natural" meds to take, see a holistic doctor, a good one that is highly recommended, which is what I'm going to do, good luck !

Nancy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.