Prozac the 2nd Time Around

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello to all!  I wanted to share my story as well as get insight from others who are having the same difficulties as myself.  I am 34 years old and am suffering from severe anxiety for the 2nd time around.  When I was 18 I got sick and had no clue what was wrong with me.  I had nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, shaking, foggy head, negative thoughts, lost 25 lbs. in 2 weeks, and pretty much was a vegetable on the couch until 3 doctors later I found out that I had some sort of hormonal imbalance that was affecting my brain.  I was at the time diagnosed with PMDD but think it was more GAD.  My doc at the time prescribed me 20mg of FLU and put me on a medium grade birth control and within 2 weeks I was healed right up.  I had no side effects or anything.  I took the FLU for 2 years straight and then quit taking it cold turkey and never had a problem with the anxiety until 2 years ago when my friend passed away.  My anxiety was not bad but I did not want it to get to the point it had before so I had my doc put me on 10mg of FLU which I took consisted up until April 2018.  Around May 2018 I quit taking it again because I had been on it 2 years as before and had been feeling great.  On July 10, 2018 the GAD hit me like a ton of bricks and I immediately started taking the FLU again.  A week later I called my doc and had her up my dosage to 20mg.  Now I am starting on my 6th week back on the FLU and am still having issues.  I am wondering if anyone has had the same issue as me and wondering why it is taking so long for it to start working this second time around.  When I hit week 3 on the meds I was back to being able to function, but my anxiety still has not completely gone away and is usually worse in the mornings than any other time.  I also still feel shaky and have nausea occasionally, but I do not really think it is side effects from the meds rather than just my normal anxiety symptoms. I am not one to take meds anyway and hate that I may have to be on an AD the rest of my life.  One thing that has helped the last 4 weeks is Vistaril, which is a non-habit-forming drug that masks the anxiety symptoms when they become overwhelming.  The only downfall is that they tend to make me feel high, and I really do not like feeling high.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  At this point I am willing to try just about anything to get back to my normal motivated self.  I have barely left my house in 5 weeks because of the anxiety and all of the horrible attributes that go along with it such as negative thoughts, social disorder, being around too much stimuli, hoping there is a bathroom close by, etc. etc.  

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear what your going through! But your not alone! I've Been suffering for 8months solid now! But I've only just been put on fluoxetine it's my 2nd week! My anxiety is awful at the moment! I always have a panic attack when I wake up! Do you take your mess at night or in morning ? I'm here to talk if you need me 🙂

• Posted

I used to take them at night but now I take it first thing in the morning.  I do not think I am having side effects from the FLU, mostly just the lingering anxiety along with all of the other uncomfortables that come along with it.
  • Posted

I have a similar story. Been on Flu 8 months. It worked so well 20 years ago. I feel sick so much of the time. Imodium does help with the diarrhea. 

• Posted

I also been ill 5 months big anxiety attack out of the blue, tryed prozac 5 weeks had to many side effects, then escitalopram, then mitazapine, now back on escitalopram, was walking up on the verge of hypoventilation everymorning, every

noise was given me electric shock feelings, lost 10 pounds, could,nt eat till about 5pm, I am now eating ok, but still have the treamberling inside, worse inside places like cafe,s social places , but I am also menopausel, only day 5 of escitalopram, see how it goes, s I am seeing a psychiatrist September, good luck, hope it goes well

• Posted

Hi Danielle, Trust me i know the feeling of having anxiety, Give you a little history on my anxiety, Im also 34 years old, In 2014 I was having really bad neck pain so i went to the ER, I was given a steriod shot, By the time i got home i started to feel worried, Well i was a huge weed smoker,, smoke weed since I was 18, anyway I decided to smoke me a half piece of blunt I already had rolled up. Maybe 10 mins later I started to feel hot and shaky my heart was racing I thought I was gonna die!! Felt like i was gonna faint,, I told my sister to call 911, When they came I told them what was going on they started me to breathe slow in and out,, and explain to me that i was having a anxiety attack!! Long story short,, That was the last day i smoked weed,, The next day that morning the same thing happen so i went to the ER,, was told the same thing i was having anxiety attack,,, I was referred to a doctor who put me on Zoloft 20 mg,, He said i was treating myself with the weed for so many years the reason i didnt have an attack sooner,, I went from 20 to 40 to 60mg of Zoloft,, Being that i started to feel my anxiety symptom coming back In about feb 2015 he switch me to prozac"Flu" he said it should help me with the weight gain i occurred since being on the Zoloft (86 pounds)and my anxiety,, started on 20mg then 60mg My life has been great since being on the FLU yes the first 3 weeks was hell crazy dreams headache and not sleeping, and heartburn, After two and a half years on 60mg just a week ago i started feeling froggy headed and the anxiety started to creep up so Last week my doctor up me to the highest dose 80mg,, So all in all it takes time,, I just pray that the 80mg works for me,, if you ever need to chat im here.

• Posted

Thank you!  After reading though more posts it seems that the 2nd time around on these meds not only takes longer to set in, but increases the anxiety.  I am starting week 6 on the FLU as of today so I am going to give it 2 more weeks and then if I still feel no improvement I will probably have my doc up my dosage to 40mg.
  • Posted

Hello Danielle, me and a few others on FB have tried to get back on Prozac. I quit cold turkey too and haven't been able to get back to where I was. Like you it is the anxiety. I only went on it the first time for depression, but now I feel like an anxious mess. I'm on 20mg having come back down from 40mg. Sorry I don't have any answers but just know that you aren't alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.