Prozac versus sertraline

Posted , 2 users are following.

i have been taking prozac long term. It's sort of become a way of life, though I would dearly love to stop.

However I have recently had a massive crisis to deal with and I saw my GP following a bit of a meltdown. She said that increasing Prozac doesn't always have that much effect and she gave me a prescription for sertraline, saying she felt it helped with anxiety more. I am certainly very anxious and panic at the slightest thing at the moment.

she has also referred me to see a counsellor, and said I didn't have to use the prescription for sertraline if I didn't feel it necessary. I am definitely struggling. I would be grateful if anyone has experienced changing from Prozac to sertraline, and did it help or make matters worse? I can't bare the thought of feeling worse than I do now. I am going for long walks and trying to get a grip but if I can help myself feel better with a pill, I would.

thank you so much.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You may do better with seeing a Psych to help you thru the crisis. I find when something is more situational depression etc I do best with talking to someone and learning some ways to cope. What dose of Prozac are you on now and how long have you been on it?
    • Posted

Hi

I've been on 20g Prozac for 12 years. You are right, this is situational depression. Up until recently life was good, I was happy and quite honestly would have liked to have tried to manage without Prozac. But a recent diagnosis of a serious illness for a close family member has sent my anxiety levels rocketing. I'm strong in that I know I will hide this well from the family, and support them unconditionally.

• Posted

Ok.. I had the same sort of thing and found a Psych more useful to talk to about things. Increasing your medication or changing may just stiffle the issue but not give you a way to cope. That being said if Prozac is still working for you after 12 years and this is just a crappy blip in life then look at sticking with it... but if like me I was on Celexa for 16 years and it pooped out and just stopped working with no situational reasoning then time for a switch.
    • Posted

That's interesting. I had not realised that anti depressants could stop being affective after long term use. It could be that I'm not coping now because of that, and maybe I do need a change. Gosh it's so complicated!

Think I need to have a conversation with my GP or the counsellor when I see him. That's really useful. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.