Prozac, what to expect?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with depression and put on 10mg of Prozac four days ago.  I've never been treated for depression before, though I suspect I should have been.  

I started meditating multiple times a day and focusing on clearer thinking to counter the anxiety I feel in addition to the depression.  In the past few days I've noticed I have slight interest in doing normal things like cooking and cleaning, but the interest is limited.  I am sleeping a little better each night but I am still fatigued mid-day.  I went to the gym this morning for an hour, walked my dog a little later and just like the past two days right at mid-day I had this overwhelming need to sleep so I took a nap for about an hour.  Is that the depression or am I just healing from two weeks of severe anxiety and panic attacks?  I worry the napping might be a bad depressive state and don't want to fuel it if I shouldn't.

How will I know when the prozac is working or when it's time to increase the dose?  My doctor is scheduled to see me next week. I am concerned my current dose is too low.  Can anyone provide insight to what I'm experiencing and what to expect?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Do not worry about this at all.

This is all very normal. I experienced the very same thing when I was first diagnosed and put onto anti-depressants.

It has also been my experience that it does take up to six weeks for the full effect of the medication to kick in,so do not be in a hurry to increase the dose.

Carry on doing what you have been doing, it seems like you are doing all the right things! 

I am not a medical professional,this is merely my opinion!

Best wishes

• Posted

Brenda, you were right about it just playing out.... the fatigue went away and I actually felt formal for a couple of days... sort of felt like myself.  But last night I felt myself slipping back into a depressive state and this morning I just don't want to get out of bed.  

?Is that normal?  It feels like I took one step forward and two back.  Worrisome thoughts are back in my head. It just seems so weird because I was starting to feel interested in doing housework, cooking, etc. and today I feel flat again.  

Any feedback on this experience?

• Posted

I suggest that you keep slugging along awhile longer.

I know it is difficult. I am certain you can do it though.

As hard as it is, give it a few more weeks of the ups and downs and try not to overdo it on the days when you feel really normal. Always be kind to yourself.

If you find in a few weeks you can't manage the way things are going; go back to your Doctor and explain what you are experiencing. The Doctor is there to coach you through this, don't hesitate to ask for guidance.

Good luck !  As the saying goes, Keep on truckin!

• Posted

Hi,

I was originally prescribed sertraline for my depression but it pushed my anxiety levels way up. My gp then put me on fluoxetine and I am more able to cope with them.

We all react differently to medication, counselling and cbt etc. If you find you struggle then go back to your gp as there are many alternatives, usually anyway.

Mike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.