Prozac with no side effects??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey guys i have started talking Prozac for about 3 days now and i feel no side effects at all 0%, does it mean that it wont owrk for me? Besides taking prozac i was also on zoloft months back and a year back i was on paxil. Zoloft was the worst initial side effects i had experienced ever, but why am i not experiencing no side effects at all with prozac? its 20mg, should i go back to doc and maybe change? i thought i heard somewhere that if i dont have any side effects then it wont work? Also how well does prozac work for dep and anxiety? anxiety being the main issue. Please help guys, thank you in advance!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi...

I can tell you that my side effects did not show up until around week 3. This medication takes its sweet time getting into your system.. so the fact you have not felt anything whether a side effect or otherwise means nothing. Keep taking it and push thru... I found week 3 and 4 a bit of a challenge as do most people but once thru slowly for most things start to improve little by little. I was on 20mg and now on 30mg and that extra has made all the difference..my anxiety has gone. I am going to ask to increase to 40mg as I hate having to cut the tablets in half. Stick it out and if you find in approx 5 weeks that things are not slowly looking up.. and when I say slowly I do not mean 24/7 will feel perfect.. it may be a good day here and a not so bad day there... then go back to your doctor. They should be monitoring you anyway.

• Posted

When it finally did start working how did it make you feel better and how did it affect your anxiety or deppresion
  • Posted

Hi,

I didn't have any side effects until my second week. Prozac takes a long time to get into your system. Give it time. Weeks 2-4 were very rough for me, but there was finally some slight improvement at 5 weeks, which was just a few days ago. Hang in there.

• Posted

How did this medication help with your anxiety or deppresing? OR how did it make you feel better I'm do scared to take this medication

• Posted

It has taken a long time, and the side effects were/are complete misery. But the fog of depression finally lifted, and the anxiety gets just a little better every day. I know it seems scary - and it will be rough for a while - but I think it's worth it. I wouldn't have said that a week ago.

• Posted

Coming in to week two and now experiencing the side effects lol, I'll stick with it though and see how it turns out. Getting mg bumped up this Tuesday. Ty btw

• Posted

Hey Nelly, promise to send you messages on my update on how I'm feeling depression /anxiety wise. Been through different medications but this is first time seeing a professional psych rather than a general health doc putting me on a ssri and quitting 4-5 weeks in everytime. I'll stick with this one for 3-4 months while seeing a psych and give u updates.

• Posted

I know this is an old thread, but Chris, I’m wondering if you’re still on Prozac and if you could commend on how it works for you. Is it working, side effects etc. My son who is 16 just started it two days ago. The more I read about the side effects, the more I’m worried I might have made a wrong decision.

thank you in advance!

• Posted

2nd week, be prepared 
    • Posted

Hi sjay, how bad will it be and how long will it last? The side effects I meant. 

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Mic,

I’m almost at 5 weeks at 20MG. 2nd and 3rd week were the worst for me in terms of side effects. I take for anxiety. I had little appetite, nausea, headache, sore throat and aches and pains. It initially increased my anxiety and insomnia.

It is very gradually getting better.!most of the side effects have resolved. I am better in the morning and then poop out with some anxiety in the evening. Note that this seems to be the opposite of the norm.

I’ve read that not everyone has side effects - everyone is different. Keep posting what you are going through! Lots of good helpful people here.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

Thank you you for your reply. My son (16)  is at 10mg and today is the sixth day. It has worked well for the past few days but today he complained he’s feeling bad. I’m hoping it will get better soon. Are you in therapy as well or just the medication? I don’t know what to expect going forward and I’m really worried.

• Posted

Your son is probably beginning to bump into some side effects. He’s about a week and a half in. Weeks 2 and 3 were my worst. It is common to feel worse before you start to feel better. How is he feeling bad, is he having physical symptoms?

May I ask why your son is taking them? I would suggest you (or he) keep a journal and log what he feels every day. The improvement is gradual and it is helpful to be able to look back and actually see the improvement.

Keep posting here and be sure that you are taking care of yourself too.

• Posted

Forgot to say that yes, I’m in therapy too. I have found it to be really helpful! Itbis important to find someone you like and trust.
    • Posted

Thanks Tracy. My son has depression. It started with test anxiety and gradually built up to he feeling sad and cried for no reason every other day. I was going to wait and hoped he would get better, then he started having problem with doing his homework, he said he couldn’t think or concentrate, he just felt sad and didn’t want to go to school. I still don’t know if I made the right decision to start medication, but I want to look forward and not backward. He also started seeing a therapist first time yesterday. We’ll see how it goes. If you have any advice, it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    • Posted

Hi Mic,

Sounds like you have a full plate. Depression is hard to deal with especially when it is your child that is experiencing it.

It sounds to me that you’ve made a good decision. He’s on a low dose to start and in therapy. His therapist and medical doc can advise you on his progress and next steps. 

My journey here is for anxiety, but I did go through depression some years ago. 

Keep us posted on his side effects - lots of advice here as most of us have gone or are going through it too!

Take care

• Posted

Thank you Tracey! Glad I found this board.
    • Posted

So just to update, my son has been on Prozac 10 mg for two weeks, the first five days were wonderful, he could function and almost acted totally back to normal, then he started crying spells again. Now the dosage is increased to 20 mg, he has it for four days now. Feeling sad and moody everyday after increased to 20mg. I don't know if the medication is not working for him, or is it still too early to tell. Is the sadness he experience the side effects of Prozac or is it the original depression he is having. I don't know what to do. The doctor wants to see him again in two weeks to give the 20mg some time to see if it will work. I feel so helpless.

• Posted

Hi. How is your son doing now? My son started 10mg 7 days ago and I have seen no side effects yet. He's actually been alot better since taking it if that is even possible. I'm beginning to worry about what's to come.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.