PROZAC WITHDRAWAL COLD TURKEY!!!

Posted , 20 users are following.

So i decided i’m going to start keeping track of my symptoms through my fluoxetine (prozac) withdrawal process. I have decided to stop cold turkey regardless of all the reviews and opinions on forums, WebMD, etc. i was the closest to suicide that I have ever been the other night and i realized it has been like this for quite some time now. I realized that my suicidal thoughts were getting worse and I don’t know if the medicine just never really worked, or stopped working, or what. I’ve had major depression since I was 15 and I used to self harm everyday. Being on Prozac did not help with this. maybe at first, but not for long. i continued to self harm and almost took my life the other night. SO this is why i decided to stop cold turkey because i believe i am strong and can handle it, and i’ve always kind of just did my own thing with medications before consulting a doctor. also, i can’t get in to see him again for 3 months, and  i don’t have the patience for that.

For example, I was on propranolol for 6 months and it made me VERY SICK. it was supposed to treat migraines or prevent them but ended up giving me all the things it was supposed to HELP with (chest pain, arrhythmia, abdominal pain, etc) so i went off this cold turkey back in May of this year. It was a nasty withdrawal process but i turned out just fine and feel much better off of it. 

I apologize this is so long but this time around i’m tracking day by day symptoms that stand out the most and cause me the most pain for ANYONE to reference if they decide to stop Prozac cold turkey as well.  I will continue to update this as I go! 

- as a side note, i am also on 0.5mg of clonazepam twice a day, as well as temazepam at night for my insomnia so my withdrawal may not be as severe as someone who’s taking JUST Prozac. REMEMBER EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT IN THE WAY IT AFFECTS US!!!

10/17/17 - first day

day 1: SEVERE headache

day 2: upset stomach, nauseous, diarrhea, muscle aches, sleep disturbances

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I came off Prozac cold turkey after being on 40mg for 4 months. The reason is, I decided my 'crisis' was behind me and that I am a fit, strong person and a keen runner and the prozac was compromising my fitness. It was swings and roundabouts; my running and ability to compete to my best is a major anti-depressant for me, and I felt it was time to rely on that rather than drugs. 

I had physical symptoms only in the first 24 hours; acute fatigue, heavy feeble muscles, headache (like a sledgehammer hitting me, it came on quite quickly), nausea, cold shivers, accelerated heartbeat. It was quite severe and at one point was leaning out of my car trying to be sick and I considered calling for an ambulance because I thought I might die! I tried to simply pass out and have a sleep in the car, and that was the point I turned the corner, physically I was ok after that sleep and went form strength to strength. My mood swings were intense for several weeks after, though, breaking down crying sometimes and feeling severe anguish and worry. 

The thing is my depression was/is 'circumstantial' - no underlaying illness - so as each issue in my life improves so does my mood. I think the conclusion is, if you come off prozac (or any meds) you need ot be as concrete as possible in identifying the things in your life that will replace the need for it, and be sure these are effective; meditate on them daily. For me it is exercise, a new circle of friends (after catastrophic divorce), new tangible hope for seeing more of my children, and christian faith. If one or more of these fail, then I'm in danger again.

I certainly needed the Prozac for the duration of my 'acute depressive episode' as it was diagnosed, where I got sectioned for a month after a suicide attempt. I might never have got out of the mental ward (panic attacks, black terror) if not for the Prozac to stabilize me for that time That's probably it's bets use, as a long term solution it is extremely dubious (a form of chemical butchery in my opinion), as is any drug. If at all possible, do away with it, and seek real-life solutions.

• Posted

The physical symptoms stopped very quickly, the worst was passed within 12 hours, but maybe took a week before I had full energy. i tended to have extremes of emotion for 2 or 3 months after, and after that I would say I was my normal pre-depression self. I was only on Proxac for 4 months though.
    • Posted

I also am quitting Prozac 80mg cold turkey. This is with my Dr. approval. She said I can feel lousy for a week or two, or taper and feel lousy for six weeks. I do take lorazepam and lithium which I ‘m sure will help in my withdrawal.
    • Posted

Hey Susan! It's nice to see someone else coming off of a higher dose/longer time and have doc approval. I am coming off of 30mg (been on SSRIs for about 6 years) cold turkey bc I am sick and tired of the emotional pain. I've done so much reading I'm convinced this medication has made me worsesad I hope you are doing well!

• Posted

Hi I’m also trying to get off this drug after several years. I’m taking one every 3 to four days spoke to doctor about it first. I have been feeling dizzy extremely weak at times like I’m going to faint. My eyes are so heavy they just want to close and my head feels spaced out
  • Posted

Merebear6 how are you doing?! I was also on propranolol and just went off of it last week. I only took it as needed so i only had a few uncomfortable days. Today is day 2 of no prozac although I've tried to taper a million times before. I'm thinking of just flushing all of my pills. Have an appointment with psych Wednesday morning. Hope u are doing well and successfully came off the drug!

• Posted

Hey guys, I know this is pretty old but was wondering if you had any more info on your withdrawal from Prozac? I was on it 7 weeks, had AWFUL side effects - heart palpitations so bad one night that I called an ambulance. So I went cold turkey (bar one tapering pill which sent me over the edge!) I ended up with the craziest mouth tics - my tongue was twitching constantly, my mouth grinding and I couldn't talk properly. I avoided humans like the plague for the following 2 weeks (which was hard as I had to bring my kids to school...) Anyway, it's now been almost 2 weeks since I went cold turkey and even though the mouth tics have died down a great deal, they are still there and quite prominent in the mornings. Also, my mood has been up and down and I am still exhausted for a large portion of each day. I just want to be back to the way I was before taking Prozac- anyone any info on how long that took for them? Thank you!!

• Posted

I have been on 20mg prozac for 15 years. Thought about trying to come off them recently but have suffered a relapse anxiety attackwhich has lasted two weeks now. GP has suggested increase dose to 40mg which i did last week. Trouble is I am not sure if it is the prozac, or the anxiety that is causing my symptoms. i was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia 14 years ago which can also bring on anxiety and similar symptoms. so i am in a quandry as to what is really happening. Have another appointment with a new GP tomorrow, so hoping she can help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.