PRP/Stem cell injections for knee pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I had a left knee replacement operation about three and a half years ago for severe arthritus. It took me a long time to build up the courage to go through with the operation and managed the pain with steroid injections and Synvisc injections but after five years they were not effective and my only option was a knee replacement operation. So I summoned up the courage to go through with the operation.

I chose the best surgeon I could find and I am really pleased as I was driving and walking without crutches at four weeks.

My problem is now my right knee and since October I have started to experience the same pains as I had with the other knee. Apparently, I have moderate arthritus but I do not feel that it is bad enough at the moment to have a knee replacement.

My surgeon has offered me PRP injections which he reckons are better than steroid injection as they are supposed to slow the arthritus down although not cure it. Apparently, they are successful for about 70% of people who have slight to moderate arthritus. They are not available on the NHS and come at a cost.

Just wondering whether anyone has tried anything similar and and would be willing to share their experiences.

There is also the possibility of stem cell injections which seem to be becoming very popular

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

stem cell injections are very expensive with ZERO guarantee I had a friend who spent $5,000 and they didn't work. He wound up getting a knee replacement anyway. I have the option to continue getting cortisone injections OR get my second knee done before I'm 70 . I don't want to put it off - it's inevitable. SO, I'm going ahead while I'm young and strong and can recover. My surgeon says I'll have the "twin turbo"!

• Posted

Hi Christine, I have done PRP injection on my both knees since 2013. Left knee I got meniscus tear.Since am paying by insurance I decided to go for both knees as a prevention. Dr did says that PRP injection will not solved the problem as one have to go thru keyhole surgery.Anyway its been 5 years plus n mine knee is doing well. I also do exercise to strengthen my leg muscles. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi,

thanks very much for your reply which is very encouraging. The surgeon who I am seeing at the moment offers a range of different injections. Some of them are quite new and my GP regards them as experimental. I think that I will definitely give it a try. At the moment I do not think that my knee is bad enough to go for a replacement but I feel that I need to do something. I still manage to go to the gym and exercise and I love walking but I am beginning to avoid long walks.

My knee is fine when walking around the house but as soon as I walk over uneven ground or walk up or down slopes I begin to feel pain on the medial side. I did have a steroid injection in December but that only seemed to last for about 48 hours. I was quite surprised because the first steroid injection which I had in my left knee several years ago seemed to have a miraculous effect for about six months.

• Posted

Hi Christine, may i know how old are you? If you think your knee is not that bad for Knee replacement then you shud try PRP injection as another non invasive treatment.Recovery is fast also Since you still go gym for exercise, try to build up your legs muscles like stationary cycling , squats etc.

Am in my late 50's n very active. I still do my slow jog . Hee, hee. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi again

I am 66 so a bit older than you. I try to go to the gym regularly and also do some weight lifting as I am trying to improve my bone density which is another issue for me. I do a lot of squats to build up my muscles. I am also having physio at the moment but it does not seem to be very helpful.

I cannot do any kind of jogging as I also have a hip replacement so have to stick to low impact exercises as I was advised not to do high impact exercises as I have two joint implants. I am also working with a personal trainer so I am using correct techniques when weight lifting.

My surgeon thought that I would be a candidate for a partial knee replacement but I prefer to avoid any surgery at the moment and try one of the injections that he offers.

I do know another lady who has had a PRP injection and she seems to feel that her knee has improved although not perfect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.