Prurigo Nodularis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am beside myself with fear!

My GP gave me 10 days of 500mg antibiotics and Steroid cream.

Alas, 14 days gone by and no change.

I sit and scratch my nodules again and again. They bleed and are so red and inflamed.

What do I do ?

I have a condition that keeps me pretty much house bound at the moment. My energy levels are so low from time to time that I just lie down for hours.

I have read all the discussions on PN but most are up to a year old. Also, most of the info. is full of words/treatments I have never come across !!

Is there any serious help or support out there ??

Thanking you in advance

Jinny 23

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I posted what I have been taking a few weeks ago on this site. I have suffered with this condition for over 7 years and have had all kinds of treatments and medication. Over twelve months ago my gastroenterologist tried me on Mercaptopurine 50mg 1 tablet at night and after a few weeks I found that I was haedly itching at all, I was still applying the Dermovate cream and I have noticed a big difference. I also take 1  Mauka Honey 16+ capsule which I got from Amazon and that has also helped with the itching.

Now I don't want to scare you but the Mercaptopurine tablets are an old type of chemotherapy which helps to lower your immune system to help with the itching.

I have noticed a big difference while taking these tablets and some of my nodules have gone completely. Don't be put off by these tablets as I have tried more toxic drugs which have made me really ill and I have had no side effects from the Mercaptopurine. You will need to have your blood monitered each month at the beginningand then every 3 months.

I also have had cryogenic treatment which entails freezing the nodules I have had 5 nodules done so far and they have not returned, so please go and see your GP or Dermatologist and ask about these treatments as they really do work

I really do understand what you are going through and hope this will help you get some relief and at least get some of your life back.   

I hope this helps and let me know how you get on.

Good luck

Wendy27962

• Posted

Hi

Wendy 😇

I am sorry if I offended you with my blog.

Last week, I was feeling so tired of fighting my conditions that I just wrote from the heart !

Sometimes my head is not in it...😡

I have ME and recently found out, what I thought were insect bites as before, we're not.

This PN is awful...it consumes you day and night. Very similar to ME in that it invades your life with a vengeance ! ( Hope I've spelt that correctly ??)

My doctor has 't been concerned really although a good guy, I feel I am guiding him sometimes 👿

I shall go back and see him just to get peace of mind !!! 🎈🎈🎈

The itching is the awful part...No matter what I do, I just am not strong enough to use mind over matter 😂

Thank you for your posting; it has given me motivation to move on.

Kind regards

Jinny

• Posted

Hi Jinny

You didn't offend me at all I understand what you are going through I have various immune conditions myself ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, auto immune liver disease, alopecia and recently been told I have white lesions all over my brain called cerebrovascular disease plus PN

Don't let this get you down and make the docter send you to a Dermatologist to get help with the treatment you need as there is no need to suffer for years like I have done as I can assure you it does work and you will feel a lot better at coping.

Keep your chin up

Wendy

• Posted

Thank you Wendy.

I wish you all the very best too and hope you can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Jinny23

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.