PSA

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just received a PSA of 2.3. It was .9 last year at this time. The doctor will take another one in 6 weeks. Should I be worried?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry, but I suggest follow up, and listen to the docs. They follwed mine rising for about 7 years before the cancer was large enough to find in a biopsy, then I chose the Robotic prostatectomy to get rid of the cancer. (last Feb. 2017) I might recomend a book called "Surviving Prostate Cancer" by a Dr.Patrick Walsh. Good info on almost anything you might be thinking....

• Posted

Mild concern would be more appropriate than worry. Just enough to ensure you follow up as recommended. Could be infection or slight enlargement, not high likelihood of cancer, but needs monitoring.
  • Posted

One reading does not constitute a trend. As everyone says, get a follow up and review the situation then but no immediate concern.
  • Posted

I really appreciate the responses.I think my main reason for worry is the fear that it will rise again when I get it redone. I know 2.3 in itself is not alarming, but the fact that it rose from .9 is causing Anxiety, because I have no symptons of all the other causes of PSA rising. 

Also, I read that when biopsied from 4.0-10.0 there is a 25% chance of having PC, but if you don't have an infection or BPH at that point why else would you have a high PSA? So is it still 25% for people without BPH or infection?

I'm starting to understand the logic in not not recommending PSA testing. The stupid anxiety is brutal!

• Posted

UPDATE-.9 last year-this year 2.3 then 6 weeks later it was 1.7. My Dr said lets check it again in 2 months. It then became 3.9.  Im very worried. Urologist wants to do a biopsy. I keep  having obsessive thoughts that I am dying of  the "bad" Prostate Cancer. Can anyone offer advice to calm my nerves?  Thank you, Steve

• Posted

I have Prostate Cancer, it hasn't developed over 10 years of it first being suspected. My psa has ranged between 6 and 12, usually 8 ish. Of course yours could be the aggressive type if it turns out you have it, but rest assured it is equally possible that you don't and that there is some other reason for your psa scoring, particularly so as yours seems not to have risen dramatically. Even if you do turn out to have cancer, there are many like me who live with it, have it monitored, but don't require treatment. Be glad. It is being attended to and keep aware and alert, but no need to worry or panic (which would do you no good anyway!) Good health!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.