PSA 6.5 (up from 0.8, 11 months ago); looking for advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband and I are worried we are getting bad advice from the urologist. My husband was referred to urologist because of an elevation in his PSA. His PSA went from 0.8 to 6.5 in 11 months. Referred to urologist. Urologist repeated PSA. PSA dropped from 6.5 to 3.0; however, my husband just finished a course of steroids two weeks prior (because of back pain issues). I told the urologist how do we know if the PSA is down because whatever is going on with his prostate is better or is it down because of the steroids (steroids are potent anti-inflammatories). The urologist said that he would look at the PSA and make that determination.

Note: No strenuous activities, no sex, no DRE well-before his PSAs were drawn. Also, no signs of prostatitis, no elevation in white blood cell count, and no sickness of any kind.

Concerns: Besides his PSA still being 3.0 (after being 0.8, 11 months ago), the urologist wants to wait 3 months and repeat the PSA. My husband and I are not comfortable with that. Would love to hear some advice because we are really worried he has prostate cancer. My husband is 59 years old with no family history of PC. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Teacher, very worrying for you. I would get a second opinion. My husband was 62 when diagnosed. I had sent him to GP because of his back pain. No other symptoms. No family history. She did routine bloods and PSA. Came back at 12. Fast tracked to Urology. MRI and biopsy. Said initally low grade. Further biopsy and Surgeon upgrading MRI. Found more in same side but awkward posistion so recommended surgery. When they took out prostate the cancer was in all of it. Luckily it hadn’t spread.     It may have been that your hubby had some form of inflammation which the steroids got rid of but you need to be sure. 
    • Posted

Hi auntiebeanie,

Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer back. I hope your husband is doing well and his cancer has been treated. I have a few questions I'd love to ask.......Did he have a PSA drawn prior to the one that came back at 12? If so, how long ago was that one taken and what was the value of it. Also, what type of back pain was he having? Lastly, was the back pain due to his prostate cancer? If the back pain was due to his prostate cancer, how did it effect his spine? Did he have metastatic lesions in the bones of his spine? Thanks so much......

• Posted

I would trust your urologist. 3 months may seem a long time to wait, but prostate cancer would be very unlikely to spread into other parts of the body in that time. I’ve had it for over 5 years without treatment and PSA has settled around 8 for most of that time (with only occasional blips caused by infections or me forgetting to abstain from sex).
    • Posted

Thank you so much for responding to my post. I'm glad you are doing well! We are worried about waiting because I am equating a significant rise in my husband's PSA with an aggressive cancer. Additionally, he has been having a lot of back pain (which is unusual for him and why he went to the doctor's in the first place). His doctor started him on a burst of steroids before we found out he had an elevated PSA. The steroids are the reason his PSA dropped significantly. When I asked his urologist about where the inflammation is coming from if not from his prostate his doctor's reply was "That's hard to say, that's hard to say." 

I'm thinking, jeez, if it's hard to say and my husband's PSA is still elevated 266% from what it was 11 months ago, shouldn't he have a biopsy?

Anyway, we are just frustrated and want to start treatment earlier rather than later. 

Take care of yourself!

• Posted

A lot of stuff happening to you. The advice of waiting 3 months for PSA makes sense to me. Don't be overly concerned. Probably not necessary to jump into the biopsy, MRI process yet.

I'm not a Dr but have been researching PC for about a year.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.