Psa 9.2 rectum exam clear 39 years old

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi I had a psa test done and it was 9.2 which is really high of someone my age. The doctor gave me a rectum exam and didn't feel anything. But he said he will take it seriously and will refer me I have no symptoms I do get an  achy bad lower back but I put that down to lifting  heavy weights down the gym and I'm a driver for a living  obviously I'm really worried do any of you have advice for me thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

PSA's are notorious for false positives.  Did the doctor do a second PSA or different kind of test?  That would be the next step. 
  • Posted

He did a rectum exam he could not feel anything I'm having another psa next week
  • Posted

Hi Spursmad,

Although an elevated PSA is a good reason to be concerned, do not panic or be alarmed. As PAEgreat pointed out, PSA tests sometimes provide inaccurate results. An elevated PSA level could indicate prostate cancer or a noncancerous condition such as prostatitis or an enlarged prostate. Men in their 50s or younger usually have a PSA reading of 2.5 or lower.  You pointed out that you exercised with weights, had sex, and your doctor did a digital rectal exam before the test. All those factors could be affecting the accuracy of your PSA test.

Here are some other factors that could also affect the accuracy of a PSA test.  Wait 48 hours or more before doing a PSA if you have done any of these things:  

1) Riding a bike, motorcycle, a tractor, a horse or anything that puts pressure on the prostate region.

2) Driving a truck for extended periods puts pressure on the prostate.

3) Having sex or participating in any activity that involves ejaculation.

4) Getting a prostate massage.

5) Participating in vigorous exercise that could jostle the prostate area.

6) Having a digital rectal exam. (Always schedule your exam after you have a PSA test).

I am not a doctor but it sounds as if you may be experiencing a mild case of prostatitis. One of the many symptoms related to prostatitis is low back pain, which would account for your "achy bad lower back." 

Low back pain is a common symptom of prostatitis and often confuses patients as well as doctors because the symptoms are referred from the muscles of the pelvic floor, not the lower back. Discomfort can be on one side or another or migrate from one side to another.

Prostatitis is usually caused when the prostate is enlarged (BPH), there is infection, or an inflammation of the prostate. Prostatitis could also be causing your elevated PSA. I had a slight prostate enlargement in my early 40's and had an elevated PSA but after my prostatitis was under control, my PSA level went back to normal.

Anyway, since you had an elevated PSA, it would be a good idea to repeat the test. However, you should wait 6 weeks to 3 months (from the original PSA) before doing it again. Doing after 2 or 3 weeks will probably give you inaccurate readings especially if you have prostatitis and that issue has not been resolved.

I recommend doing a Total PSA, a Free PSA, and a urine culture. The uribe culture will confirm if you have prostatitis or not and if the prostatis is causing the false PSA readings. A Free PSA test will also give you valuable information, 

If your doctor is quick to recommend a biopsy (not a good idea yet) request a PCA3 urine test first. A PCA3 is a non-invasive gene-based urine test that helps to decide if a biopsy is really needed. It is not a replacement for prostate specific antigen (PSA). However, it discriminates better than a PSA test in determining if it is prostate cancer, benign/non-cancerous prostate diseases such as BPH (prostate enlargement) or prostatitis (infection of the prostate). A PCA3 gives you very useful information.

Until you get your tests done there are some things you can do on your own. 1) Use a heating pad to relax your back muscles, 2) Do Kegel exercises (these exercises help to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles) 3) drink a combination of  natural sugar free cranberry juice (helps to relief urinary tract infections), sugar free tart cherry juice (to decreased inflammation), and d-mannose powder (for prophylaxis of recurrent urinary tract infections).

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

James

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

If you lift weights maybe you also take supplements like Creatine, etc?  They can cause problems with test results.  What symptoms are you having, aside from the back pain, that made the doctor think you needed a PSA?
  • Posted

I did not no that I was having a psa the  endocrinologist included it because I'm taking trt and yes I take supplements 
  • Posted

I'm not   Experiencing Any other symptoms what's so ever thanks again guys for all your replys 
  • Posted

When I was in my early 40's, I went for a normal PSA check as part of a routine physical exam. My doctor called me and referred me to a urologist, as my PSA was in the high teens. That urologist did a full prostate biopsy on me, obviously looking for cancer...nothing. Urologist attributed the high number to infection, put me onto antibiotics. 90 days later, new PSA test, number jumped to 21, another biopsy..same result.

In all, I had 4 biopsies in 3 years, whenever my PSA spiked. New urologist put me onto Flomax, and my number stabelized at 12. When my number went up a bit, we simply watched, and then it came back to 12-ish.

While a high PSA is something you need to keep an eye on, by no means is is a guarantee of something bad happening. Some guys have high PSA's, could be infection, could be genetic, whatever. A high PSA by itself, while a possible precurser to cancer, is not the final bottom line. What my doc told me was that they are far more concerned if, for example you are today a 9.0, 3 months from now an 11.0, 3 month later a 14.0, then you have "something" going on. Certainly follow your doctors advice, but if you have a high PSA and it's stable, remaining at or about the same number, you're probably ok.

Finally, 15 years later I went onto Avodart which dropped my PSA below 5.0 and I took it for 3 years. My number was stableized and all was fine. I did undergo a TURP at 62, which fixed all of my symptoms. My PSA now under 1.5.

Have this chat with your doc and see if his attitude is to figure out your "normal "  base-line PSA (it might actually be 9). You may have a very large prostate, or an infection, whatever. My advice is to watch for any increases in that number.

Prostate biopsies are still done, and while hardly foolproof, it is the one of the best tests to rule out cancer. I know I'll probably get some pushback from subscribers, and I read about all sorts of new tests out there, but back when I was having high PSA's, the biopsy was pretty much the only way I felt "safe" when I got a clean bill of health.

Hope I was of some help? Good luck.

• Posted

You should watch but had the same thing when I was 47. Doctor told me I had a high PSA went to a urologist and was put through every test there was. It was a prostate infection. Took pills for 10 days and all was fine At 39 don't let him fool around with your prostate and tell you that you need a turp. Just relax and enjoy yoye life. Infection can raise your PSA Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.