PsA and degenerative disc disease

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have psoriatic arthritis. I recently had an MRI of my spine because I have symptoms of sacroiliitis and inflammatory back pain. No inflammation was found but they discovered degenerative disc disease at several levels with some bulges and prolapse in the cervical and thoracic regions. Would this be anything to do with the PsA or is it unrelated? I'm 40 and the back pain has been going on for years. I've never had any injury/trauma to my spine.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Elbmow,

Your question is interesting but unfortunately I am not qualified to answer it, other than to say I'm older than you and I was diagnosed with worn disks before being diagnosed with PsA, which were attributed to 'normal' wear and tear and not being careful when lifting heavy things, bad posture etc., the list could go on...

I know there is an element of mismanagement of my back, but have long wondered whether my chronic and invalidating back pain is only because of worn disks or a combination of the two; all I can say is you're still young enough to take precautions so as not to make things worse 'mechanically', and to strengthen your back, would definitely recommend regular swimming; I have found seawater better than freshwater in reducing pains in other parts of my body and only associated PsA.

I have also found a cold shower once or twice a day (or even more) to be very beneficial in reducing inflammatory pain quickly (a strong jet of cold water on specific areas at a time is best) the longer the better and can be after a hot shower or better still a sauna, so long as you end with a cold shower!

Good luck,

Gerry

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I swam in the sea on holiday last year and it was bliss. Not much opportunity for doing that in London. I can't really swim at the moment anyway as my left knee has blown up and I can't straighten the leg. I have been referred for hydrotherapy though so, if an appointment ever materialises, that might help!

• Posted

Sorry to learn your knee has swollen up, that happened to me some years ago and was diagnosed as bursitis and the surgeon wanted to operate, which would have left me immobilized for many months and in a lot of pain, my solution: wrapping the knee with a thin layer of bandage and strapping a bag of frozen peas on top, when I could no longer feel the cold, replacing with another bag of frozen peas and doing this all day long with pauses in between, and also sleeping with a cold pack; swelling went down very quickly and within a week I could walk again, albeit still with some pain and help of a crutch but not for long. I also started swimming as often as possible (more a case of doing gentle leg exercises) and full recovery was achieved within a month. I can but only recommend you try this treatment and not wait for an appointment, you can do your own hydrotherapy in a swimming pool, or invest in a wetsuit and do it in the Thames or the Serpentine! Where there's a will, there's a way... Best wishes, Gerry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.