PSA INCREASE POST RP

Posted , 4 users are following.

Open RP November 2015. Six monthly PSAs since all 0.01 but for a 0.02 in the middle. All same pathology. Last two were 0.02 and 0.03 and now it's referral back to Urologist. Has anyone any experience on this slight increase. I learned post RP that we should expect PCa to re-emerge in some other organ or bone. I always had concern over biopsy needling of the 2 MRI detected cancers and all the subsequent bleeding and now this??????

BarrieH

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

At this time I would not worry. 0.01 and 0.02 is virtually the same result. After my RP I had 0.13 and 0.15, again very similar results (at the same lab) but obviously more worrisome than your result.

Not everyone has a PSA collapsing to undetectable levels after RP. Also these days tests are more exact and can detect the miniscule of values.

If the level starts rising over time, THEN you should consider perhaps radiation.

With your result I would check 2x or 3x a year. Be on the look out for a rise over time. If that does not happen you're ok.

• Posted

Thanx Barney for my post’s only forum contribution. While the 0.01>0.03 over the three recent PSA tests was not that alarming to me the GP action was. She had, I thought, got it from somewhere. Today I attended my Urologist/Surgeon referral. Until this my 5 and a half years post-Open Radical Prostatectomy PSAs had all been 0.01 but for one out of character 0.02 in the middle. The 0.30 to7.5 range still on the latest pathology and your forum post left me with an impression this referral was likely an overreaction. Google indicated less than 0.05 was “undetectable”. That further PSAs should follow and if results continue to rise referral, C/T, Bone or PET scans could be involved and that could possibly lead to radiation or hormone therapy. My waste of a day and expense of a urology consultation turned out to be a social get together with my former surgeon. He said anything under 0.2 was very OK. Bone, C/T and PET scans are old hat and if PSAs continue to rise a new PSMA, specific to Prostates, is currently the next step. He almost guaranteed me that going from age 72 to 78 post-surgery to where I am today I was very statistically going to die from something else before significant PCa would return. It’s a shame GPs don’t have access to information sources that prevent this initial stress and waste of effort.

I believed from my scant pre-op knowledge that surgery removing the gland that had not spread it’s malignancy would be the end of it. Learning post-op that the incontinence would go on forever and a prospect the PCa could still re-emerge in bones or other organs and ongoing PSAs in that regard were concerning. With all I have learnt from this forum and my post-op life I still would have gone down the surgery path. I would have resisted the Dutasteride and possibly the Alpha blockers. I should have waited for the robot. That’s a difficult one for I thought that was where I was. I definitely should have done a lot more research. Not so much Google but definitely a lot more use of Forums like this. Anyhow so long and hopefully no more contributions to the “Prostate Cancer” or “Prostate Problems” discussions.

Barrie H

• Posted

By sheer luck I am online just after your recent post.

Your urological surgeon's claim that "anything under 0.2 was very OK. Bone, C/T and PET scans are old hat and if PSAs continue to rise a new PSMA" is correct for RT patients.

The well oiled "undetectable" hoped-for result is sometimes achieved for surgery patients soon after surgery, but not for RT patients.

If the PSA over time rises, the issue is HOW concerning is the rise? A rise per se is not the be all and end all. And I agree that if there is a rise then a PSMA PET CT is the way to go. I am in Australia and had a few of these at $1,000 a go. Not covered by Medicare or insurance. BUT it is wonderful as it has ONE JOB ONLY - to detect the existence and spread of prostate cancer.

Regardless of cost, if the PSA is not moving up, there is no need for such a scan. In fact my PSA is undetectable and since it has been that way I decided to save money by not seeing the urologic surgeon. After all, what can he possibly tell me other than "good work, keep it up". I have better things to do with a lazy $300 for a consult.

• Posted

Let me correct one of your assumptions: robot assisted radical prostatectomy does not of itself guarantee a better outcome than open surgery. In fact I know this to be the case from speaking to a general surgeon who at 70 had open surgery because he could find no article claiming the results would be better by virtue solely of using a robot.

The KEY to a good outcome or as I say, "the best possible outcome given what the patient can control", is the skill of the surgeon. For instance, a surgeon who has done 500 open prostate surgeries should expect a better outcome from an open surgery than a surgeon who has done 20 robot surgeries and is preparing for another robotic surgery.

• Posted

Thanx again. I appreciate your view on open vs robot assistance. I have only my experience against the outcome of others I have conversed with. It's chalk and cheese on that comparison. I will always feel I should have investigated better and at least postponed for the robot. Like many things with Prostates there are so many options and choices. When your outcome is the worst you naturally think the input was not that great. Thanks again BarrieH

• Posted

You wrote: When your outcome is the worst you naturally think the input was not that great.

This is not strictly true.

I had brain surgery a few years ago.

Researched it very much.

Flew overseas for it.

Had a great surgeon (by reputation, skill and feedback).

The tumor was removed.

But the surgical team cut an artery. I had a major bleed in the brain.

A couple of years later, all was good.

Moral of the story: one can research until the cows come home etc. But one cannot allow for matters over which one has no control. In my case, the bad judgement of one of the trainees in the operating room who cut the artery. I mean, who knew there would be a trainee? Who know that trainee's name when the surgery was booked?

• Posted

Hi Barney!! We had quite a lot of communication back there and the saga continues. My post RP PSAs continued OK till a 0.06 in June 2022 and a 0.13 this month. Still under the 0.2, my Urologist's line in the sand but a similar rise, next set for 3 months will no doubt see me back there. More scans and possibly treatment. My GP thinks any spread would likely be to bones. Once I started belated information searching I got concerned that the biopsies they make us all have to go forward are only OK if negative. All that bleeding from a Cancer hit seems not to be that good.

I read the proof prostate biopsies don't spread the cancer was that the survival rate of pancreatic cancer patients who had biopsies was no greater than those that did not. That seemed a tough call being so different. I suppose it's as close a comparison as they could get as we all seem to have biopsies ahead of any cancer.

Do you have any contribution about what is likely ahead of me. What treatment is likely and what treatment should be avoided. I had hoped I would not need this part of the forum again. It seems to have a lot less participants.

Barrie H

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.