PSA Level High

Posted , 5 users are following.

So, I was hanging with some friends at lunch the other day having a couple of beers when I remembered I had a doctors appt that afternoon for my semi-anual physical, which included blood work.  (I am on TRT, hence the 6 month thing.)  So I decided to still go as I still had a few hours and hadn't had but a couple of drinks.  The test came back today with a PSA of 4.1.  Thats up from less than 1 a year ago.  My testostorone was also sky high at 1780.  Even on TRT, my normal level is 500-600.  My estrogen was also high.  White blood cell count was normal.  Does anyone know if the alcohol prior to the test could have affected these results particularly?  

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

1. How old are you?

2. Didn't you tell your doctor that you were drinking prior to the blood test?

• Posted

Hey Buddy.  Alcohol can change the PSA and you should not have gone.  But everything came out ok.  Your PSA of 4.1 is only .1 over normal.  I would wait and have ot again but I think all is fine.  Just don't worry  Ken 

• Posted

I agree. If he is 19  a 4.1 might be a concern. If he is over 40 it is far less of a concern because that is when most men's prostate begins to change. So the older a man is the less concern.

Also recent sexual activity, i.e., excitment or ejaculation can stimulate the prostate to result in a higher PSA.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I am 38 years old. The only thing that concerns me is that a year ago it was 0.89......4x in a year seems like a lot. That is why I was asking about the alcohol. Also, the sudden spike in testosterone seemed strange. It's never been that high even on therapy. That is also leading me to question the validity of the test... possibly due to the alcohol. ?

• Posted

Relax. Tests can vary. Get retested when you have not been drinking and not been sexually active for two days or more. Also they need to measure the percentage of free testosterone.

At best the PSA is merely an indicator, not a certainty. A lot of things can affect your PSA score, including a bad blood test. Some guys have a high PSA and when they do MRI, TRUS and biopsy they find nothing. Even when they do often the tumors are so small and so slow growing that they wait until it becomes a problem 20 years later. Friend's father had prostate cancer from 72 until his death at almost 101 from heart failure, not cancer.

• Posted

I think you should leave it alone.  Your PSA is ok it just 1 point over normal.  I am 61 amnd my PSA was 4.0 2 years ago and last year it was 0.7  We will see whats up this year.  Can I ask you why are you having your PSA done at your age.  Your not suppose to start checking until you hit 50.  One this a mans body starts to change ever year and your starting your change a few years early  Your prostate will start to grow and will grow year after year.  Try to cut down on the alcohol it's not good for you and your prostate.  You have to start taking care of you body now to help you when you get older  Ken 

• Posted

3-4 years ago I was put on testosterone replacement therapy after a physical showed my testosterone at 67. Should have been 6-8 hunded at my age. At that point they started keeping a watch on my PSA because the therapy can cause a rapid acceleration of prostate cancer if it develops.
  • Posted

I agree with you that a sudden big jump in PSA in a short time period should not be ignored. Retest and see if it persists.
  • Posted

Mine jumped to 16.92 at age 49. Mind you I had sudden onset LUTS from what I now know to be (presumed, test did not show) prostatitis or UTI. Per cent free psa was bad too at 5% and 3T multi parametric MRI was 4 out of 5 on the scale (this too is bad). Yet it was not cancer. My GP scolded me for asking for the PSA test at age 49 saying it is impossible for you to have prostate cancer at that age you will just scare yourself as it will be high. Though curiously she didn't prescribe antibiotics either, nor flowmax. The above tests and biopsy (TP type) and eventual HOLEP were all done privately. Test it again in a few months, if the trend is up then you need to take action. But do not worry in the meantime as P Ca really is rare at your age. Mine dropped first to 9.66 then to 0.7. Mind you the 0.7 was after 12 out of 22 grammes of prostate tissue had been removed, so it is like 1.8 really correcting for tiny volume remaining. Had it tested twice at interval 2 months, stable at 0.7 so no need to test again for 18 months (as regular part of regular private medical). Good luck.

• Posted

Paul did you have cancer at your age And if you did why have a HOLEP to many side effects. At 47 I was told my PSA was high ( 46.0 )  I still have the paper work. She told me that I had cancer and I had to see a urologist for surgery.  At that age I did not even know what a prostate was or a PSA  I went to see the urologist.  I would not do surgery until he did more test. Well I went through all of them.  The finger test he said that my prostate felt funny. Had the ultra sound he  said it was inconclusive ( very uncomfetble) Then I had a 13 needle biopsy.  After all of that I ended up having a very bad prostate infection. No more women doctors for me    At 61 I am not ready to give up any function and have anything cut out.  If I do get cancer I will look into other options. Or just let it take it's course.  Glad all worked out for you.  Each man as a right to what ever treatment he picks  Take care  Ken

• Posted

No as I said there was no cancer. Was aiming to reassure the guy with 4.1 at age 38 though he should not entirely neglect it in my entirely amateur opinion, test again to check if rising and of course take doctor's advice

• Posted

Sorry No problem.  Yes it should be check.  There can be many factors that can make it rise  Have a good day  Ken  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.