PSA levels and rate of rise

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been doing a lot of research online regarding the above and am now worrying myself sick about my partners levels. I have other posts on this forum regarding where he is at the moment (awaiting biopsy). I thought he had had two psa checks but it has been three. The first was 6.5, the second 7.2 and the third most recent was 9.5. Could this be why the urologist is now pressing for biopsy where he had been content to prescribe antibiotics for prostatitis? The first reading was August, the last one two weeks ago. I am so scared that this is a sign of an aggressive tumour. He began with frequency and burning sensation in late July but looking back little signs have been there for a while, such as dribbling after urination. Two courses of antibiotics have not brought the level down and because of a bladder scan to check voiding he had to have a catheter after having acute urinary retention. I am hoping so much that his latest high level is a downward trend and that maybe on the day of retention it was up very much higher. Has anyone had levels like these and had a clear or non-significant biopsy? 3T MRI scheduled in the next few weeks, biopsy end of January. Thank you all for reading.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Any other meds besides antibiotics? Some meds will raise PSA. Like finasteride.
    • Posted

I read a article said tamsulosin can cause a low reading. It also said a enlarged prostate can give a higher reading cause there's a higher amount of cells in the prostate. Finasteride can give a low or higher reading. Seems there's a few things can cause a higher reading.

• Posted

Caz, As I said in another post to you, you do not have a PSA reading when it was "normal", so your problem is deciding how much it has risen from this point in what time frame. We are all different. Some guys PSA norm is 0.5, some, like mine, is 2.4. The next problem of PSA numbers is how quick they rise.

Mine went from 2.4>7.5>8.4>12.0>13>12 in 4 months. Doctor said this rise is too much too quick for cancer. From 2002 until 2015 PSA test avg =2.4. Then the UTI and all hell broke loose in the PSA department. I also have a urine stricture, which maybe at the root of the problem. In January, we will check out my urethra and bladder to fix this...then back to the PSA numbers.

Your partner sounds like he is also having bladder/urethra issues. The MRI will hopefully answer a lot of your questions.

• Posted

Don't panic. All of that could be explained by the catheter, etc. Wait for the MRI results. That's where the answers will be.

Neal

• Posted

thank you all for taking the time to read and reply. I am trying to remain positive for both our sakes and I know there are other factors which can cause a rise, it's just because I read about doubling and had a bit of a panic. MRI will be done as soon as a slot becomes available, if not before Christmas then very soon after. I will of course keep posting and replying in the meantime. Bless you all.

Caz x

• Posted

Mine went up in 4 months due to the bph and taking finasteride. After surgery it came back down. Stopped the finasteride. The possible side effects scare me.
    • Posted

Yes I have heard of the side effects, I suppose they affect everyone in different ways. I'm hoping it is due to BPH, I thought the urologist would have somehow know if he had this though. Hope you are keeping well.

• Posted

Seen urologist today. 2 week follow up after surgery. Tests came back to cancer again. Follow up to my follow up in 3 weeks
  • Posted

Try not to worry. My PSA went from 3 to 6.5 ie a doubling in a few months but MRI and biopsy detected nothing. Probably down to my BPH just gradually getting worse. Last PSA was 5 so it is currently stable.
    • Posted

That's good to know. That your scan and biopsy were clear I mean even though your PSA had doubled quickly. Good that it has stabilised now, it must be such a worry waiting for the results every time. The scan will answer a few questions for us I'm sure. Keep well. x

• Posted

I knew someone whose PSA rapidly went to 37 due to an infection.It eventually went down to normal range.
  • Posted

Try not to worry too much, the MRI will tell all.  I had a psa one time as high as 14, scared the heck out of me, it was due to Prostatitis, very painfull.  Also my enlarged prostate caused a very high psa.  I have not had a psa check since my turp, I don't know how long the doc will wait to do that.  Good luck to you and your partner, keep us informed.

• Posted

Hi Joe,

Thanks for that, it does help a lot to know that even with a higher level than the "cut off point" it can be down to prostatitis. It is terrifying though. He can feel his prostate whereas he couldn't before the catheter and urinary retention episode. I'm taking this to mean it's enlarged and producing more PSA. I will keep you all informed and thanks again. x

• Posted

When I had my PVP I had a PSA test and scan to check for retention after about two months. My retenion was negligable and my PSA was down to 5.0 (where it had been hine years before)  from 9.8. Much better after my Thulium/Holmium procedure when I was surprised that my PSA was 0.74 from about 7.8.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.