PSA of 20, consultant thinks it's cancer but I am not sure.

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've had prostate issues for about 3 years alongside bad gut problems, which turned out to be a parasite and fungal infection (maybe more than one).

I have had quite a lot of antibiotics over the past year, some of which have eradicated my prostate symptoms, but they have come back. My working hypothesis has therefore been that I have an infection of some sort.

I had an MRI 2 years ago and it showed no cancer, my PSA was 8 then. I have another lined up next week - my PSA is 20 now, but the consultant is determined that I should also have a biopsy. I am not keen to do that, but at the same time I want to be sensible.

The consultant seems very reluctant to acknowledge that my symptoms could be caused by anything other than prostate cancer.

Can anyone offer any practical advice please?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

On the subject of second opinions. I intend to get a second opinion before having a biopsy, if the MRI says that is what I need.

• Posted

So, the MRI results are back. The consultant is pretty convinced it's cancer, despite all the problems I've had with my gut and the fact that my prostate symptoms improve with antibiotics.

I am booked in for a biopsy in a couple of weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.