PSA of 3.95

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

My Dad (68) had been diagnosed with BPH in April 11 2020 . His PSA then was 3.1.

It has always hovered around 2.7 ish for years before the diagnosis of BPH.

His prostate size is 52.5 gr and has Post-void residual urine is 60 ml.

His PSA value since then:

• September 2020 : 3.68 (His Urine culture showed bacteria and was treated for 7 days with ciprofloxacin) ,
  • November 2020: 3.95

I'm a bit worried because it seemed to be increasing. He has since (since November ) been taking lyc-o-mato and I noticed he does not pee as often. But we have not yet to check is PSA just yet.

Any thought on what we should do ? and when should we check his PSA again?

Thanks so much in advanced for all your comments.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had the type of problems and honestly 3.9 for a PSA reading is not that high. However maybe in another couple of months I would ask for it to be checked again.

Regards

Robin

• Posted

hi @robin25259

May I know how your PSA scores looked like when you had that problem?

and also what did it turn out to be? did you have an infection?

we're worried because it keeps rising, if it's just one raised reading and dropped the next time then wouldnt be too worried.

thanks again so much.

• Posted

The PSA rise is n ot worrisone. If he has problems peeing then he should see a urologist to investigate. There may be something going on but it is, with such a PSA, unlikely to be cancer.

For peace of mind, he could do another PSA test in 6 months.

• Posted

Thank you very much. will update this forum once we have a new PSA value.

Hopefully it will go down .

• Posted

So update...

His PSA is now 5.82 (7th of June 2021) . His Urine showed bacteria, but the culture was negative.

getting really nervous now.

After a consultation with the Urologist, We decided to have an MRI of the prostate. and we'll see from there if he needs a biopsy.

The urologist consultant was quite worrying, saying that if it was BPH the number would fluctuate instead of keep rising. and he said any PSA above 4 needs to be investigated further. I dont know what I feel about that.

I am kind of regretting the fact that we did not do MRI when it was 3.95 . I didnt even know about it then. 😭. But I'm still hoping for the best.

I read somewhere that the Prostate Volume to PSA Ratio is 10: 1. Looking at that, my Dad had a 52.5 Ml Prostate in 2019 and had a PSA of 3.95. that is a pretty good number still i think.

Considering that his Prostate will keep growing, I dont think PSA of 5.82 is all that high for his Prostate volume?

I dont know..maybe I'm just looking for some comfort. My parents are my everything. I want to make sure I take care of them the best that I can.

Thanks all for listening

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.