PSA & PSA Ratio - Unsure What To Make of It

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am a 48 year old male and had my first PSA test done 2 weeks ago. Level came back high at 5.2.

About two weeks before that PSA test he did a cystoscopy for another issue i am having and suspected maybe the PSA test was high due to the recent Cystoscopy.

So i just repeated the test but this time he also did the PSA Ratio test. My PSA level on this test was 3.0 and ratio 0.11.

On the one hand, having a PSA below 4 is a but of a relief but from what Ive read that ratio is not great. What would you make of this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Tom,

A cystoscopy can raise PSA, although I would have thought two weeks would have been enough for the prostate to calm back down. I do self catheterization and know that it can raise the PSA also. Anything that disturbs the prostate can raise the PSA, like riding a bike, orgasm, surgery etc. However in my experience three or four days is enough for it to go back down, although every one is different and the cystoscopy you had may have caused more trauma than normal.

Is the ratio you are talking about PSA density, the PSA divided by prostate size ? My PSA last year was 7.55 but my prostate is 100g so my PSA density was 0.0755 which was considered OK because it is below 0.1

Thomas

• Posted

the ratio is Total PSA to Free PSA. My PSA level is 3.0 but the ratio of Total PSA to Free PSA is concerning. I spoke to my urologist today and he is sending me for an MRI.

Apparently this Total PSA to Free PSA tends to be a good screen for prostate cancer. Fingers crossed that is not the case here.

• Posted

In my experience, the key is the PSA over time.

1. Ensure your tests are conducted by the same lab each time AND
    2. Have another PSA test, if you're worried. 3 months from the last one and say 3 mths later. If the results are steady or falling, then celebrate! If they are rising, then the velocity is important.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.