PSA results after radiation.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello. I am one of these health anxiety people, so I apologise in advance. My biopsy last year showed G7 (3+4) Intermediate Favourable and I had 60 gy in 20 fractions in January. My PSA was 7.4 July '18 and dropped to 3.1 early June this year. My consultant said it could have been higher than 7.4 by the time rt started. I shall have another test in September. My question is whether it will continue to drop from the 3.1 this time. Of course, nobody knows and we are all different etc, but generally, does it usually keep going down with each test from some of your own results? I know it can take up to two years to reach its nadir (?) and I have heard of the 'bounce' thing. I try not to worry and take it as it comes etc, but I have had a scare from bowel cancer. Thankfully I've passed 5 years from that so now have to put up with this new one! Sorry again, I just wondered what to expect. Thanks.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Its seems your body is treating you well. Keep treating the body as you have and it will keep being kind to you.

• Posted

Mine went down steadily over a few years after RT. It is now stable at 0.2 and I never think about it - just go for an annual PSA

• Posted

That's good. I am due for another test in a month or so. My rt finished almost 25 months ago and I get tested every 6 months. If this one continues to fall I'll see if yearly is possible. I'm already starting to stress but I've been told a bounce is quite common.

• Posted

Stress does not help, nor does constant PSA checking as some folk do.

Go again as you say in 6 months.

Please advise again the dates of your last two PSA tests, their results and when you started and finished radiation.

• Posted

Thanks for your interest. My last two psa tests were 5 March 2020 and 14 September 2020. Results were 2.7 and 1.5 respectively. Quite a pleasing drop. The three drops before that were only by .2. Radiation was 60 Gy in 20 fractions and finished at the end of January 2019, i.e. 25 months ago. It was called Intermediate Favourable. Stay safe, John.

• Posted

Hi Barney. Any thoughts on my results? I'm planning to have the test in about 12 days time. John.

• Posted

Monday's psa was 0.83, down from 1.5 six months ago. I'm happy with that so will shut up for a while. Thanks to all those who helped.

• Posted

Hey there, sorry for my late reply, but I was tied up in family matters and had no time for this website and other sites I am involved in.

After RT, the PSA should drop, but not to "undetectable" levels as is the case with a good outcome from surgery.

The drop after successful RT is SLOW and steady.

It takes maybe 24 months or even longer for the PSA to reach its lowest level, so it seems that you're doing well.

I recommend PSA testing every 6 months.

Keep well. Again, sorry for my late reply.

• Posted

Thanks Barney. Yes, I asked the Dr if yearly would be ok but 6 months it is. I hope your family matters are now sorted.

• Posted

Family matters.... being sorted out 😃

In my experience 6 mthly tests is preferred to annual or say to 3 mthly.

This way you can stay on top of things and heaven forbid, you see an unwelcome rise in a 6 mthly test, you have more time to think and decide what to do if anything, than if you checked annually.

3 mthly tests IMHO, will drive a person crazy.

Keep well.

• Posted

Good attitude. If it is stable over time, that's good news. It does not warrant hyper vigilant PSA testing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.