Posted , 4 users are following.
I have been posting on this forum for a few weeks now regarding my partners prostate issues. His brief history is PSA 7.6, 9.5, 7.6, 7.7. The last one was a week ago, the first mid to late August 2016. The highest one came approximately 10 days after acute retention and catheter fitted for 3 days. He has had the usual antibiotics but only for 5 weeks. I have read here that many men take them for up to 12 weeks so I don't know why he wasn't given them for longer. Symptoms appeared to ease off strangely enough when the PSA was at its highest. He has burning mostly when not urinating. Pain at top of shaft on underside, a feeling of sitting on something all the time, no problems with stream or dribbling etc. He had a 3T MRI last week and will be meeting with his consultant at the end of this week to discuss results and options. The consultant is determined that with this PSA not normalizing a biopsy is the only option. What I wanted to ask is should we push for a test which shows the level of free psa. I would have thought that this would then determine if a biopsy was definitely necessary or not. I know they are not widely available where we live and have the feeling that the consultant won't be forthcoming with where we can have one done. I still feel that he may have BPH. I suppose the detailed scan will show everything anyway so we will just have to wait a few more days. Any advice much appreciated. x
0 likes, 22 replies