PSA Test

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi i did post a while back about my prostate.

But after going to the hospital he said it's enlarged a bit not much, but said to get a PSA test every 6 months ? but why would they say that if it's not bad.

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My understanding is PSA can vary depending on what you did before blood was drawn. Sex makes go up I think exercise also makes go up. I wouldn't worry just get blood work like doc suggested. My prostate is 125 grams my PSA is less than 2. Not sure size of prostate effects psa

• Posted

No i am not sure if the size does or not. i also have epididymis have had for a long time.
    • Posted

Yes size definitely affects PSA. Some like to quote PSA normalised to prostate size (like, a PSA density figure) to correct for this. So your 2 might be 0.5 with a 30cc prostate
  • Posted

PSA can vary depending on a number of factors such as exercise, sex, drugs..... So your PSA reading is no reason for worrying.  But get it checked every 6 months as your doctor suggested   ...this monitoring is important to detect any shooting up.
    • Posted

You have nothing to worry about. Your PSA isn't out of bounds for someone your age and there is no reason for concern. Once a year, or even every two years would be more than sufficient.

• Posted

Well they told me every 6 months shall i just do it every 12 then
  • Posted

Hi John,

What is your current PSA and what is your age? There are newer guidelines for PSA testing that take into account these two factors. 

Jim

• Posted

Serum prostate specific antigen level 3.4 ug/L and i am 56 almost 57
    • Posted

Hi John,

I couldn't find the exact guideline chart I was looking for (they keep changing the guidelines!) but testing every 6-12 months sounds reasonable. This doesn't mean you should be overly concerned, because PSA levels can be elevated for many reasons other than prostate cancer

Jim

• Posted

40 to 49 0 to 2.0 ng/mL 0 to 2.0 ng/mL 0 to 2.5 ng/mL

50 to 59 0 to 3.0 ng/mL 0 to 4.0 ng/mL 0 to 3.5 ng/mL

60 to 69 0 to 4.0 ng/mL 0 to 4.5 ng/mL 0 to 4.5 ng/mL

70 to 79 0 to 5.0 ng/mL 0 to 5.5 ng/mL 0 to 6.5 ng/mL

• Posted

John,

Not completely following the chart. 

Maybe you can break down age 50-59 and what are the recommendations at the different levels. Also, are these recommendations for biopsy or for frequency of PSA testing? I was

only talking about frequency of PSA testing. Two different things. 

Jim

• Posted

Found this below, but i am not having a biopsy most are stopping them now and doing a multi metirc mri scan.

If the PSA level is 3 ng / mL or higher, men should talk with their doctor about having a biopsy of the prostate. If the PSA level is between 1 and 3 ng / mL, men should see their doctor for another PSA test every two to four years. If the PSA level is less than 1 ng / mL, no further screening is recommended.

• Posted

Hi John,

I was referring only to PSA testing and frequency, not whether or not you should have a biopsy.

That said, I don't believe even the newer guidelines state that "no further screening is recommended if PSA is less than 1ng/ml) when you're in your 50's.

From memory, I believe you have to be at least in your 60's to get off the hook, but I could be wrong. I had my last PSA test last year at age 69 and it was under 1ng/ml, which it always has been. I may have one final PSA test this year, or I may just forget about further PSA testing, unless of course, new evidence comes out telling me I should! FWIW my previous urologist was a big fan of yearly PSA testing, regardless of my age, but then again, he's my PREVIOUS urologist and one of the reasons I left him was that he seemed a little bit too aggressive in that regard. 

Jim

• Posted

I have only ever had one test and it was 3.4 so if it goes over 3.5 they will want to send me to hospital for more tests again, i can't tell you much i am fedup of going to hosptial the last 2 years i have had 4 cancer scares

• Posted

I would stick to one PSA test a year and unless is goes up significantly, I wouldn't worry about it. According to your doctor, if yours goes up to 3.6 they'll want to do more tests, when in fact, a bicycle ride can elevate it way more than that.

The rate of increase is at least as important as the size by itself as a cancer signal. And with all of the other health issues you have going on, adding another that is very unlikely to amount to anything seems like the last thing you need.

• Posted

Yes your right i just wish i knew why i had all these problems been fit and healthy all my life until the last few years.

What's the best way to keep the PSA low ?

• Posted

There is no way to control PSA size. But the good news is that its a poor indicator of deadly cancer. Only 5% of prostate cancers will ever become life threatening and by tracking the rate of increase in PSA tests and gleason score you can better judge if you have one of those 5%. No big increase in PSA and a low gleason score means there is very little chance you'll ever have an issue, even if you do have prostate cancer.

There is actually no statistical correlation between PSA tests and longer life - but few want to walk away from them. IMO, have one done once a year and barring a big increase, don't worry about it. And even if you have a big increase, have another couple of tests before doing anything more invasive (like a biopsy), as many innocent things can raise a PSA score temporarily.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. I hope that you can get them all under control.
    • Posted

Well I could have a good guess why you have emphysema - but you probably already know the answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.