PSA up and down and up and down...

Posted , 5 users are following.

PSA was 6.5 a year ago, 3.5 six months ago, 9.9 three months ago and now 5.5. very confused. If the 9.9 had risen was going to go for the biopsy, but now? Already have teally nasty undiagnosed prostate area pain which may be pudendal neuralgia. I'm worried that a biopsy infection could push that over the edge. And the urologist told me today that he gives antibiotics the day of the biopsy and that's it. Seems like if you could bleed rectally for several days a longer course would be indicated. Thoughts?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you can afford it, press for a 3T MRI, then have a MRI guided Biopsy (Transperineal Fusion Biopsy,). This way, the sampling done under a general anaesthetic is between the scrotum and anus, with no chance of infection. Half a day in hospital, a day or two of spotting blood into a pad, and you will soon know what is happening in your prostate.
    • Posted

Thanks. At my insistence Had the 3t MRI ( pirads level 3 in transitional zone). First and second opinion urologists both act like I'm irrational wanting the transperineal. And that the infection rates are the same. Even if true transrectal bugs would have to be meaner.

• Posted

I had several days of antibiotics for after my biopsy - seems no reason to limit yours to only one day, unless it is a special type of dosage.
  • Posted

Receantly, I had biopsy trans rectal. Used enema night before and next day 2 hours before biopsy. Started antibiotic day before and contunued for 2 days. Just before procedure started, had intramuscular injection of Rocephin antibiotic and everything went well. Biopsy was painful itself even after lidocaine was injected into prostate. 

NO INFECTION ATT ALL.

• Posted

Will never have another Biopsy as last one gave me Sepsis and 2 years on still can't fight infection with continuing Urine infections and Prostatitis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.