Psa value from 0.8 to 1.5 in a year

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi.

I am 45 years old and have some problems when urinating.. It can take a while for it to begin.

I have been to the doctor and he told me I have an enlarged prostate.

I received Alufozin to make it easier. Works pretty well.

I also took PSA 2016-Jan and the value was then 0.8. 

I took it in 2017-Jan and it was 1.5. Almost doubled..

Is this normal? I am a bit worried about it being doubled.

Regards Rick

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Anything under 4.0 is normal.  Try to relax  There are many factor that it could have been up.  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

Ken, At my first meeting with my urologist he said he had several patients with Gleason 7 and 8 and a PSA less than 2.5. A review of records of men who had PSA history, showed a typical doubling each year over a few years. (0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0 etc) Some patients had very little PSA action but very aggresive PCa. Sort of scary, as most guys see the PSA test as the window to cancer detection. 

As for the PSA screening level,2.5 - 4.0 it is a start I guess. But it is not a single number that counts but a series of PSA numbers over time to see a trend or velocity.

My urologist said my avg PSA at 2.4 is high, But...it is my average and every one is different. Some prostates are more 'leaky' than others.

• Posted

I will be having both done next month to see how is everything.   Having blood and urine test next week.  And in a month 4 or 5 for my urologist.  We will see then how is everything.  He has told me I was good at 4.0 and great at 0.7.  Not having any pain just some leaking now.  Went through the cancer stuff about 13 years ago when I was 47.  Had the probe and the 13 needle biospy  That did hurt  But I trust my doctor and we will go from there  Ken 
  • Posted

I wouldn't worry about that PSA jump rather I would be more worried about being biopsied for just BPH. I had my PSA checked at age 43 and it was 1.3 and I am not worried about that at all. My doctor is going to test me again this week at age 48 and to be honest I am worried that it will come back high enough that they will want a biopsy. I told my doctor that I don't care if it comes back as high as 50, I will not have a biopsy done. I have symptoms of Prostate enlargement, but PC doesn't run in my family, however BPH does. If it is high I told them I will have a 3T MRI to see what is going on, but no biopsy first. Your PSA is low enough, so don't worry. If mine comes back at 1.8 I would walk out of the doctors office with a smile on my face. Now if it goes up more in say a few months to where it is over 4 then you may have an issue, but remember that PSA doesn't check for prostate cancer just inflammation of the prostate and it can be from many things.

• Posted

I retook another PSA test yesterday less than a month since the last one

Now the result was 2.2 !!!

Free psa 0,14 !!!

Another raise !!!

Now I am terrified.

My urologist appointment isn't until a few month.

Rick

• Posted

It is still low enough and it can be raised for many other reasons, so don't get stressed about it. Wait to talk to the urologist and if really worried then have an MRI done to see what might be going on. Don't jump on the biopsy train, you will not ever get off of that one.

• Posted

Richard.  Just relax stress can have a factor in it to.  My urologist said that 4.0 is normal.  I will be having both done in march My last one was 0.7  I have been as high as 6.0 but still not worried.  Please don't get yourself into a pickle  Ken

• Posted

Hi Richard, When your PSA keeps rising it is a worry...unless you know of a harmless reason. You have urine flow issues, which could be caused by the prostate. You may have an infection going on, or have some BPH issues. These all contribute to raised PSA.

I went through the same thing as you, rising PSA and my urologist earliest appointment was 2 months off...umm..I had a 3TmpMRI done while waiting. It came back clear(PIRAD2 score) This lowered my stress, IF I did have PCa, it was very little and as yet undetectable. Later, the urologist agreed.

Remember, 75% of all raised PSA is NOT cancer, and simply saying the prostate is not happy for a variety of reasons.  

​Geoff

• Posted

One has to realize that the PSA test isn't a cancer specific test. All it does is detect inflammation of the organ itself, so if you have BPH for instance, then your PSA will likely be raised, but it isn't always from PC.

• Posted

I also have +2 leucocytes in the urine

I took the urine sample at the same time as psa

• Posted

Richard I looked it up .  It means that there may be a infection.  Take care  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.