PSA Velocity with BPH

Posted , 4 users are following.

My Dad (70 this year) always had a PSA of around 2.7 until 2019. 

Here's the history:

april 2019: 3.1

September 2019: 3.68

November 2019: 3.95

He had an ultrasound done in April 2019 and confirmed to have BPH.

His prostate volume was 52. 5ml (CC) and he does have a thickening of the bladder due to PSA. 

He urinate quite often in day time, but at night he just woke up once to urinate. 

The urologist was not worried at all. He is going to have another blood test in a few days ( been postponed due to covid) . I am scared and want to know how are PSA Velocity related to BPH? 

Seems like there isnt much information out there for this. 

Thanks so much

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

PSA is related to prostate cancer. When the PSA doubles in say one year, it's time to scan for cancer. In your case the velocity is under 50% per annum.

I cannot speak for any correlation b/w PSA and BPH, but if the urologist diagnoses BPH, then follow the suggested treatment.

• Posted

Thank you for your insight Barney,

as he does not have too much of a trouble , we delay treatment for his BPH.

Yes, hopefully the next PSA reading is stable.

• Posted

At 70 your father is doing go if he only get up once a night and has no other problem. The raise in the PSA does not always mean cancer He could have a infection.

PSA has nothing to do with the thickening of the bladder. That would be BPH. There are things that you can do How much does he drink during the day. He needs to stay away from Tea and Coffee. Also any type of citrus will irritate the bladder

Thank you for taking care of him Ken

• Posted

Kenneth is correct when he writes

At 70 your father is doing go if he only get up once a night and has no other problem. The raise in the PSA does not always mean cancer He could have a infection.*

I had PCa and know others who had/have it. None of us had had changed pee-ing functions before diagnosis, at diagnosis or soon afterwards.

Infections sounds likely. The only way to know is to be prescribed antibiotics (a 14 day course) and see the result.

• Posted

Hey Barney

Thank you. I just don't want any man having anything don't that is not necessary

For 70 he is doing do. As you know if men have problem with BPH he will get up 3 to 4 times a night or can't pee

Take care and be safe....Ken

• Posted

Thanks Kenneth,

Yes sorry, that was a typo. the thickening of the bladder was due to BPH. Yes I think He needs to cut his coffee, Told him so but he loves his coffee too much 😉.

Thank you for replying and hope you are well taken care of by your loved ones

• Posted

Thanks Barney,

Will update here ASAP. Please pray that his PSA remain stable. Thanks so much!

• Posted

Coffee and tea are diuretics which stimulate the bladder. Cutting these down is wise. Of course that does not mean to zero. You need to live and enjoy life after all. But ensure no coffee or tea within say 8 hrs of bed time.

Also you may benefit by stop drinking anything in the 4 hrs before bed.

• Posted

So update...

His PSA is now 5.82 (7th of June 2021) . His Urine showed bacteria, and we are waiting for the urine culture result.

getting really nervous now.

May I ask, @barney34567 How was your prostate velocity like? and did you have BPH too? what was your prostate size?

Sorry if I'm probing, just trying to get a lot of information.

@kenneth1955 any thought?

Thank you so much guys.

• Posted

Jonah

Your doing everything for him you can. Which I know he is thankful for you. His PSA may be higher because of a infection. Try not to worry until you get all the information,

I'm 65 now when I was 47 I was told that I had cancer by my GP because my PSA went to 426. I went to a Urologist and had every test you can think of. I had a very bad prostate infection. I have been fine for many year.

Enjoy each other and take one day at a time.....Ken

• Posted

The PSA has climbed from 3.95 to 5.82 in 19 months or 47% being 30% pa

This does not look like cancer.

As Kenneth wisely suggested, infection is more than likely and a course of 14 days of antibiotics or sometimes as in my case, two courses, will show if it is indeed an infection.

As to my situation, after I heard PCa, I tuned out. I don't recall the size other than it was not big, which is a good thing to hear in the case of PCa.

I did not have BPH.

One thing comes to mind. Has there been any changes in your Dad's sleeping arrangements. A change of room, number of blankets or room temperature can influence how good or poorly one sleeps. I recall years ago that a cold room meant I was up several times a night, but when I was on holiday in a room with good temperature control, I slept far better.

• Posted

Thank you Kenneth for your insight .

Trying to take it one day at a time. will update here once he sees a urologist.

Thanks again so much. You take care 😃

• Posted

Hello,

Sorry, just got the time to reply. After a consultation with the Urologist, We decided to have an MRI of the prostate. and we'll see from there if he needs a biopsy.

The urologist consultant was quite worrying, saying that if it was BPH the number would fluctuate instead of keep rising. and he said any PSA above 4 needs to be investigated further. I dont know what I feel about that.

I am kind of regretting the fact that we did not do MRI when it was 3.95 . I didnt even know about it then. 😭. But I'm still hoping for the best.

I read somewhere that the Prostate Volume to PSA Ratio is 10: 1. Looking at that, my Dad had a 52.5 Ml Prostate in 2019 and had a PSA of 3.95. that is a pretty good number still i think.

Considering that his Prostate will keep growing, I dont think PSA of 5.82 is all that high for his Prostate volume?

I dont know..maybe I'm just looking for some comfort. My parents are my everything. I want to make sure I take care of them the best that I can.

Thank you @barney34567and @kenneth1955. Please stay well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.