PSA will not fall after surgery.

Posted , 5 users are following.

What is the most effective treatment to attack persistent and rising PSA after a radical prostatectomy? Note at surgery the pathology stated N0 M0

To clarify, "biochemical recurrence" is the PSA rising over time, after falling to near zero after surgery or radiation.

"PSA persistence" indicates that after surgery the PSA did not fall to "undetectable" levels (i.e. <0.001) but remained stubbornly detectable.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Barney,

What is the stubbornly PSA level you refer to. If you have had your prostate removed and the PSA is higher than 0.2 nanograms/milliliter, then maybe some cells escaped. What was your Gleason score and T score?

• Posted

The high PSA 6 months post op is 0.5

Pre-op Gleason score  was 4+5

post op score was 4+3

Tumor stage was T2

In retrospect, I have two questions:

What is the best way to attack this persistently high PSA; and

What investigative tools are used to explain such a PSA.

Note I feel good and have no symptoms at all.

Thanks 

• Posted

Yeah barney,a 5+4 would have been a scary number Pre op. Glad the number was reduced to 4+3 when they can actually get to the prostate in a lab. 

Well, as you know, the only way for your PSA to still be detectable beyond 0.02 ug/L is for some prostate cells to be still producing PSA. These cells do not have to be cancer cells, but normal cells that leaked out during surgery. It might be, that these cells will remain active for a long time...Will send you a pm

Geoff

• Posted

Thanks.

Will keep an eye out for the PM?

Are you saying that it is possible that PSA remains high for a long time but that is not necessarily cancer? If so, how do we know if it is or is not cancer? For instance, say I perform a scan and that doesn't show anything. What am I to conclude is going on?

• Posted

From what I understand, often, after your prostate has been removed, small amounts of prostate tissue remains in your body. These bits of tissue create PSA. The modern PSA test can find minute amounts of PSA, and I would imagine, as these bits of tissue never grow, unlike a malignant prostate cancer tissue cell, so the PSA may be there, but not increasing over the months and years. The link I sent you describes this.
  • Posted

Does anyone Know if Chemo has helped control Gleason 9 63 yr old perfect health before diagnosed 1 yr. ago from colapsed t9 t10. treated casodex, lupron, xgevea. worked for 9 months ps went up a little, was taken off casodex for 4 wks to be able to enter trial, but needed radiation for pain. Now trial has to be delayed due to him needing a special radiation for 2 small tumors on spine t4 t6&7 and L10.  Very painful for him. Oncologist wants to put him on Chemo along with the radiation treatment  instead of waiting for the trial study. 4 wks before the mold is made for radiation to start.  Has chemo helped anyone, and does everyone have side effects. I have 2 girlfriends who had NO side effects from very strong and long Chemo for breast Cancer except the lose of hair. I took them for lunch right after it and was amazed. And is Chemo the last treatment available?  Thank you, GM wife

• Posted

I had thought that when in the later stages of prostate cancer, hormone therapy was the main weapon. Chemo may be an option. As for side effects, people are all different.

My sister had breast cancer chemo stage 4, last year and it was apparently the heaviest they do, and it almost killed her with a heart attack. All her teeth had to be removed, she has constant pins and needles in her feet and lower legs and a host of other problems. She has just been advised the cancer has returned to the other breast, and maybe her shoulder... She will have no more treatment. 

• Posted

So sorry for your sis, my sister in law had a lump for a yr and it went into 13 lymp nodes, was also on srong chemo, and hod 0 side effects. she gained weight from eating more.  How crazy this cancer and chemo is to each of us.  My Mom dies in 1980 at 59 of breat cancer, those days it was barbaric in how they gave chemo.  Yes harmone theraphy is and has many side effects, he has done well with it the xgeva does give him some bone pain. He still wants to continue even with the side effects. I just hope the Chemo holds it at bay for some time at least.  Thanks for the chat, it does help people feel connected in some way. Thank you! GM wife.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear of your husband's situation.

You raise an interesting question. One that I asked a highly regarded physician, who is not an urologist. I asked because I don't ever want to be faced with having to undergo hormone therapy if something else is available.

His reply was "in the past, chemotherapy was reserved as the last roll of the dice after other therapies have been tried, but there is some thinking these days that throwing chemotherapy at a patient sooner rather than later may have very good results".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.