Pseudoephedrine alternative?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've got a monstrous cold at the moment, and my sinuses feel like they're about to explode. It's making my teeth and jaw ache, and I'm taking a break from inhaling Vicks steam to ask you guys for advice.

I can't take Sudafed (pseudoephedrine), not even a milligram, because it gives me anxiety, restlessness and vertigo. Saline sprays aren't even worth thinking about, xylometazoline works only on my actual nose, to make it possible to breathe, but it doesn't help with the sinus pain, even my steroid nasal spray doesn't do much. Has anyone got any pharmaceutical decongestants that won't make me feel like I'm going to die? Are there even any alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The only medication that has provided me any relief over the years is Aleve Sinus and Cold. It can be tricky to find but I have seen it at Rite Aid/Walgreens. My sinus infections make me head feel like it could explode from all the pressure and it's the only thing that helps. Feel better!

• Posted

Have you tried dissolving a few menthol crystals in boiling water and sitting with a towel over your head inhaling the steam (be careful not to scald your nose on the steam at first!).

I had chronic sinusitis and, after various antibiotics did nothing, my doctor suggested trying this, several times a day. At first it gave some instant relief then the pain was back, but after a couple of days I kept forgetting to do it as the pain was gone. I still do it now if I have a heavy cold in case it threatens to come back.

I also take 1000 mg evening primrose a day which another poster recommends as well. I've been taking it for years for something else but I didn't really take on board that I hadn't had a sinus problem for years until I saw his post.

Give it a go - the crystals are cheap enough from a pharmacy and the evening primrose isn't too expensive although I choose a good brand in case the cheap stuff is GM or full of pesticides.

• Posted

Hi Jodie,

If you can try something called Quercetin and Bromelain supplement. You can readliy buy them online, or from well known health stores. It it totally natural and is very good for sinus inflammation.

here is a bit of info online.

Bromelain, which is a natural supplement derived from enzymes found in pineapple, reduces sinus pain by thinning mucus and allowing it to drain as it should. One study found that patients who were already on antihistamines or antibiotics experienced a faster decrease in nasal swelling when bromelain was added to the standard prescription drug regimen.

Bromelain is effective when used alone, but it’s even more powerful when combined with quercetin. Quercetin is a flavonoid supplement that enhances the function of your immune system while also preventing the release of histamine. Because histamine is the source of your allergy problems, less histamine means less mucus and nasal swelling.

Also i am sure you already know to drink LOTS of liquids. Try eucalyptus tea, honey and lemon drink, ginger beer. These will all help open of your sinus areas. Facial massage, cheeks and forehead - facial steam etc.

But most of all try the supplement.

good luck!

• Posted

You might want to look up a product called Alkalol.

I have ordered a bottle, which is due today.

Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.