Pseudogout - no cause, no prevention, no treatment???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Wondering why I'm having gout-like pains in odd areas when I haven't been eating the bad foods, and finally decided to *read* the references on "pseudo-gout", and without formal medical diagnosis I guess that's what I have.  But reading about it - can medical science really have nothing more to say about it than "calcium crystals. happens. sorry."???

With "real" gout at least we have some partial causes, some drugs that are pretty good at preventing it, and a traditional acute palliative. For pseudo-gout, none of these?

Ouch!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've always thought that it is simply the  punishment for living so long?

• Posted

LOL then I should have been dead a long time ago. It's a hereditary predisposition. My grandma had it, my Aunt has it, and now I have it. Like my doctor says, it's genetic.

• Posted

To quote the Mayo Clinic

<<Pseudo-gout has been linked to the presence of calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate crystals within the affected joint. These crystals become more numerous as people age, appearing in nearly half the population older than age 85. >>

Arthritis Research UK states

<<Acute CPP crystal arthritis usually affects people in late middle-age or the elderly, and it’s rare if you’re under the age of 60.>>

The Cleveland Clinic states

<<This disease is not commonly encountered in younger patients (ie, under 50 years of age) without a previous history of trauma or surgery. >>

The evidence is that pseudogout is    overwhelming a disesse of the long-lived. 

• Posted

Sorry but this information is obviously wrong. I was diagnosed with it in my late 20's when urine samples came back with pyrophosphate crystals. All my urine samples since come back the same but sometimes with less crystals due to drinking tons of water. But they're still there.

• Posted

You cannot do medicine based on one case.  

Example: smoking cigarettes leads to certain cancers and greater mortality, yet we all know of 99 year olds who have smoked all their life.

• Posted

Psuedogout and regular gout I think go together. In my early 20's I was diagnosed with psuedogout. At 14 I got my first gout attack.

Fast forward 30 years, psuedogout continues to bother especially recently. My whole body hurt, about a week ago, a family member said to take Glucosamine Chondroitin. Said to take 2 pills, I took it at night in the morning I woke up feeling 99% better. If I feel it even a little I take 2 pills at night, taken with food. Also, drinking cherry juice helps but the Glucosamine worked to relieve my pain. Hope this helps.

• Posted

>Glucosamine Chondroitin

Worth a try.

?I got the regular gout pretty much under control, it seems, with celery seed (or just celery).  Now in retrospect I think some of my attacks even ten years ago were actually pseudo-gout.  Never have much discussed it with doctors, usually have other issues more pressing.  But the 3NB in celery seed affects only the purine reactions, afaik.

?So if it's all that common in older folks, what an opportunity for a treatment.  Come on medical science, cuz I'm not getting any younger!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.