Psoas Impingement after THR -research

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi there folks

I’m trying to gather some information regarding psoas impingement after hip replacements. I would be very grateful if anyone has suffered this problem could post their story. Could they tell me when the symptoms started and how long did it take to diagnose. Also how was it fixed and did it sort the issue. It would be most helpful if you could inform me of what geographical area you are.

Kindest regards

Carolyn

3 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dont give up....It took me a very painful year to find the right dr..I can't even imagine what 3 years is like!! This robbed me of important years of my life!! There are a ton of crappy orthos out there and finding the right one is like finding a needle in a haystack! I am 5 weeks out from Psoas surgery and am just starting to get my life back..Im in South Florida and if I can be of any help do not hesitate to reach out!  Chrissy

• Posted

Hi Chrissy

Hope you are well. Would you mind saying what you had done to your psoas and what your surgeon advised.

In terms of how you are going,  where are you at with your recovery. Did your surgeon give you an idea of what to expect in the long term regarding recovery.

I’m 7 months post full revision, bone graft. Screws& full psoas cut. 

I was having incremental but albeit slow improvements then things took a backward step about 4 weeks ago. Slight turn & was back to inability to raise my leg or flex my knee. Was really scary. I figured it was a heap of tightness in psoas & glutes so have been getting massages & using the roller & backed off my training. This has helped. I still have that kind of burning sensation in my groin, & that leg is still heavy to lift. My surgeon assures me by the 12 month mark things will have healed & proper function will be restored.

Be very very appreciative of any insights you might have.

Wishing you all the best.

Been such a lonely journey. Makes me feel isolated as I literally have no one to talk to about my fears & concerns. 

Kindest regards

Inhal 

• Posted

Hi Inhal, I am 5 weeks post op...psoas lengthening...I have not started physical therapy yet but started doing groin stretches on my own at home,,,just because i am so fearful that it wouldn't resolve all my problems...the deep stretches are i believe what is helping me the most...My healing has been slow as i had a lot of swelling after surgery and when i had stitches removed he said to cool it...I go back April 5 so i will keep everyone posted.  Dr did say that the psoas would heal back by month 3 but it could take up to 6 months to see all benefits.. Yesterday was the first pain free day I have had, today its minor pain and I assume it will go back and forth until full healing....

I have not started back to a regular life yet as I don't want to mess things up...too scared to..and thats a pretty sorry way to live..Im going on 64, single and have lost 2 years of my life at a pretty important time in my life...Only people that have gone thru this can understand what its like to wake up every morning hoping for a miracle until you get out of bed and that pain is back

I do groin stretches and that pointy ball (massage ball) that I use once a day...that has helped a lot with horrible butt pain that ive had all this time

The surgeon that did my original hip replacement couldn't give a ...., He got paid and is on to his next case...Its a regular body shop and he does an extreme amount of hip and knee replacements...

Considering all this, the dr who did psoas release said my hip is in good shape, just the psoas got messed up. I had 3 cortisone shots who did nothing until this dr had me get another one under flouroscopy and that made huge difference...I got 40% relief within 3 days and then almost 80% in about 10 days (lasted 1 week)  that how he knew it was psoas...I just pray everyday that this solves all my problems!!!

Whatever i can do to help, Im here,,Youve got friends here who understand.

• Posted

Hello 007-

Good handle.  Man you've really been put through the ringer.  The original surgeon sounds like the worse nightmare.  May I ask where you had your hip done?  Hoping it's very far away from my location in Seattle and I have no chance of ever encountering this doctor.  Would also like to ask the name of the psoas operating doctor for back up just in case I run into anything after my upcoming THR.  Glad to hear it sounds like you're on the mend.  We're similar in age, it's been 3 years since the onslaught of advanced OA has taken over my life and I can relate to the daily battle of ongoing chronic pain that just seems to define life.  Do hope it works out well for you.  Best wishes.  And BTW, have you considered getting approved for deep tissue massage?  A good therapist with the right back round who knows how to work properly on the psoaz muscle might help your recovery as soon as you are released to have it worked on; glutes as well.

Jim

• Posted

You have a kindred friend here and I thank you for your reply. It means the world to me. 

Sounds like you are doing well, I think being conservative with your rehab is wise. I’ve backed things off and it has helped. Like you I just can’t afford for this to not heal. 

Keep us posted and here’s to a good re overt for you😘

We are all different I know and having the revision surgery I’m sure has added to my recovery.

• Posted

Hi Jim, don't worry you are safe...Im in South Florida...actually the surgeon who did orginal hip replacement is supposed to be one of the best, however he's in Strykers back pocket getting over $98000 in payoffs from them and he does mass production...My surgery from time I left my son until i was back in my room recovering was just 50 minutes! One of the most important things to do is get your surgical report...My surgeon ran such a production line, we went to a workshop for 3 hrs before surgery and we never saw him again after surgery...All we saw was his PA and besides appointments set beforehand if there was a problem you were to text and pic his PA....hows that for care??

For months i kept telling them i was having unusual pain but as one of the nurses told me, i was going to find help there to find someone outside the Cleveland Clinic....It was until later that I found out that patients with problems get swept away because it affects the success rate and therefore affects $$$/

Don't bad you cant sue these drs for not giving a sh..t!! Whatever happened to first do no harm? If you are in US send me a pm and i will send you a link to how to find out how much payola your dr is getting...They won't publish links on here....Nice meeting you...lol...Chrissy

• Posted

Its a roller coaster ride, that's what this is....For sure revision has added to recovery....Have they tested your blood for inflammatory markers?? that would help give you insight....Naproxen 375mg (prescription Aleve) helped with inflammation....as long as there is inflammation there is pain...

We have to all join together and do what we can...Im there for you...hang in there...Chrissy

• Posted

Will get bloods done as you suggested. I’ll research so I know more about this.

Thank you so much😘

Take care.

Inhal 

• Posted

H Chrissy, me again! I replied earlier to a post of yours, you may not have seen it.

You mention sending you a pm, presume that is private message? How would I do that? I hope that your initial surgery wasn't in Jacksonville with the same 'very highly regarded' surgeon that I had. Since the surgery he is impossible to contact and if I get to see anyone it is one of his PAs. I would love to know how much payola he might be getting. sad

I am due to get a CT scan this week to diagnose whether I have a iliopsoas impingement.  (I know that I do) from what I have been reading here, maybe an ultra sound would be better. Even if an impingement is diagnosed, I would get injections which don't appear to work. Oh woe, I am so confused. 

Before my THR I was active, now for seven months my life has been controlled by the pain. I feel sorry for my husband. I know I am not much fun anymore and am scared that this is it for good now. It seems impossible to get non contradictory advice fro Orthos. I would prefer another surgery if that would mean an ultimate end to this. My feeling is that the injections are huge money makers with pretty iffy results.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Penelope.

• Posted

Hi Chrissy. Help! How do I pm you? Wonder can I post my e-mail address? Don't see why not. lopusa@me.comWondering if we had the same surgeon. My surgery was done in Jacksonville Fl. eight months ago. Highly regarded surgeon, five stars etc. but suddenly not so keen to deal with my self diagnosed Psoas Impingement. Finally insisted on a CT scan which confirmed the impingement. Had a fluoroscopy guided injection ten days ago. Initially the pain was much worse, after a few days it calmed down and I now see a VERY slight improvement. For the last few days that has stayed static, still in a lot of pain and wondering what to do next. Do I trust this same surgeon to go back in and start messing with my psoas? Any advice from anyone would be so helpful. I am/ was a young energetic 71 year old. This has taken eight months out of my life. Royally p****d off! sadPenelope.

• Posted

Hi everyone,I have had problems since June 17 after a physio damaged me during excercises. I had an ultrasound guided injection 8 weeks ago to see if my psoasis was the problem but now I'm 10 times worse. The pain is just off centre of my left groin at the front . I had the replacement in April Hoping to change my life . It just brought other problems. I have cerebral palsy anyway and just been told I developed scoliososis as a result. I'm at my wits end now. I am waiting on an mri to see if they can pick up what is actually going in as it doesn't appear to be the psoasis. The surgeon who's brilliant mentioned hydrotherapy or physio or as last resort 'shaving' a bit off the offending article ! I can't believe almost12 months on from my op,9 maths from physio, I'm still on crutches still on restricted duties at work and still not enjoying the life of hoped for. I really can't do anything from stairs to showering to sleeping, what a mess. I am in the process of trying to sue the physio who is trying to say I must have overdone it. I couldn't have been more careful as I was petrified of dislocation etc. It was a semi private semi NHS practise and all I will say is she's not working there now!!

• Posted

Sorry about the spelling, it was predictive text that's to blame lol !

• Posted

Can someone tell me what the popping/snapping feeling that I read about on psoas infringement feel like?

I feel like something catches in my groin and it’s painful. Especially if I was standing putting weight on that one leg. Once I take the weight off I start feeling that catching feeling and have to weight a moment or move real slow till it goes away. I’ve had this problem for some time. I had a THR on that side just over a year ago. Have had burning pain in the groin wen driving since the surgery but not real often. Wondering if all this could be my psoas. 

• Posted

Hi there from a very rainy Birmingham.

From my own experience I get a snapping and a popping sound. It can happen when I turn in bed or when getting out of a car ( I don’t drive so as a passenger). This can be followed by either a dull ache or a sharp stabbing pain. My groin aches all the time but last weekend I couldn’t even put my foot on the floor. I’d seen my new consultant on that Friday and I think his proper examination had upset the hip. On the Sunday I thought I would end up in hospital as the pain was excruciating :-( I iced my groin and rested and now I just have the normal dull ache. I’m a full time musician and writer and I can’t even get on a stage at the moment. It will be three years in June since my hip was put in and finally I can see light at the end of the tunnel with my new consultant. I would suggest you ask your consultant for an ultra sound scan and don’t let them fob you off by saying “Oh it will settle down”. I’m determined to change the protocol on diagnosing psoas impingement :-)

Cheers

Carolyn

• Posted

Thank you Carolyn for responding. I don’t hear a popping noise but I do feel as something catches. The burning pain I feel wen I drive sometimes is not as often as the catching feeling I feel. Thanks for the suggestion of getting an ultrasound. I just got an MRI of my lower back as I started with pinched nerve after my other hip replacement I just had in Nov. Seems I can’t catch a break since this last surgery. Wishing you the best. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.