Psoriasis is ruining my life.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys,

I've had Psoriasis ever since I was 3. I have tried numerous treatments, mostly creams, most of them being steroids and some herbal. I had been able to control it using those for quite a while, up until now that is.

I was encouraged to be in the sunlight by my GP but being in the UK that is really hard, the Summer we've just had wasn't much of a summer either. When it is sunny I can't go out wearing shorts or short sleeves due to how bad it is.

I am about to start my second year in college and it has gotten much worse over summer. Nobody would guess I suffered from Psoriasis from a distance from the way I dress but I fear I won't be able to hide it much longer, over summer it started spreading to my hands and steroids can't get rid of it, touching my keyboard hurts my hand, I can't wash the dishes and I have to keep hiding my hand from people.

I am currently studying Computing at College, hoping to study Computer Science at Uni, this problem has already affected my social life, at times I even skipped school because of how bad it got. Due to the stress I have started losing a lot of hair, it was great just a few months ago - stress is a killer! If I can't even touch the keyboard how on earth will I pass?

I spoke to my GP about Photo-therapy about 3 weeks ago and I've had no contact at all from them or the Dermatology clinic. Many people link Psoriasis to stress and I try to stay happy but the problem is that the moment you see it, what it is doing it, how it is affecting your present and future it gets too much.

Balding itself doesn't worry me too much but the fact that I have Psoriasis on my scalp would just make me want to hide in my room, some of it is quite visible already. I have used various shampoos and although they tend to stop the build up of flakes the redness itself doesn't go away.

We all know that kids my age aren't exactly mature and don't deal with these things well so I wanted to know your advice as to how I should deal with this.

I just want to get through this year of college and perhaps take a gap year before finally going to Uni. I don't know how long the Photo-therapy will take but I wanted to know if I was allowed to ask my GP for help with my hair loss and with the Psoriasis on my hands. The redness on my scalp is so visible so if I can keep my hair at least I will be able to hide it, the pain I get from using my hands sometime even puts me off from doing work.

I have tried keeping my hands moisturised and it helps, albeit a little but do you think my GP would prescribe me Propecia? If it stops the balding for the duration of college I will be happy, once it is over I will stop the treatment and shave my head as I believe that fresh air and more access to sunlight will help the Psoriasis on my head.

I look forward to hearing from all of you!

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello masuka, I have had psoriasis all my life, nearly 60 years. It's a horrible condition to live with, you have my sincere sympathy.

The photo Therapy is usually very effective. I must admit that all though I've tried everything possible over the years I've not tried Propecia, so I can't comment on that. Only your gp can guide you there. It may be it will not be appropriate in your case but you must ask him/her, any question you have about your condition is relevant, he/she can only decide if you can try it. You must also chase up your gp about the Dermatology Clinic. I'm afraid most departments at the hospital take a while to contact people these days. I believe there is an 18 week period that they have to see you in, but it could be the 18th week from your refferal that you get your appointment.

I know at the moment it is no consolation to you but psoriasis does improve with age. Hormones can play a great part in the severity of it for some people. In my mid twenties I used to have to stand on a big towel to take my clothes off as flakes showered everywhere.I was found to have an underactive thyroid and was told that this is also common with psoriasis sufferers. As you know stress also plays a part, anything that helps you to be calm is good . I always practise slow breathing and listen to music to help me relax.

It's all very hard to live with.

I presume you use T gel Shampoo or Polytar shampoo, this helps to calm the scalp down. I also use betnovate scalp lotion (via gp), although they say not to use it too much I have been using it on and off for 40 years. I also use calendula ointment that I buy from Trevano on the internet. It's quite pricey but keeps my bigger sores down, you do have to use it for a few weeks before it starts working though. I've been using it for about 4 years now and wouldn't be without it. My gp gives me a huge E45 tub each month that I slather on every morning to keep rehydrated. As I said I'm not as bad as when I was younger.

For many years after creaming my hands I wore cotton gloves to bed. This helped to keep the cream on my skin and soak in well, it does help a bit.

I'm truly sorry I can't help you more. I hope someone more your age can help you.

All I can say is try and keep positive. Your studies are very important so please keep going, good luck at uni, I know you'll get there.

One more thought, have you tried logging into a websire dedicated to psoriasis? Or rung a helpline. I have heard that you can telephone NHS Direct. They have lots of leaflets and advice that may help you, though I suspect you will know as much as they do by now.

I send you good wishes and hope that you can get some more help with the situation you find yourself in.

My very best to you, Fanny Jane.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, Fany Jane smile

18 weeks does seem like forever, I have another appointment there in 2 days time so I'll be sure to discuss this matter as it really is getting bad! That's actually true you know, I find that listening to music has been very helpful, it helps me get lost in my thoughts - extremely peaceful!

Well, I haven't heard about some of the ones you have mentioned, having used Dovobet and a weaker version. The amount of herbal medicines I've used could go on forever, I have tried so, so many things to no avail.

I shall try using the cotton gloves though as much of the cream just gets wiped off when I am sleeping, reducing its effectiveness. I am very happy to hear from you, as sometimes only someone who suffers the same way you do can truly understand you, thank you so much for your help, it is extremely appreciated!

For now I guess I have to keep working hard with my diets and exercises so that I keep the Psoriasis to a minimum, many people have even recommended taking up Yoga - something I might consider :P

I will give the NHS helpline a try, if not I will discuss the matter with my GP, thank you again so much for your help,

Masuka

• Posted

My wife has sever psoriasis and has been battling it for years. She applies prescribed creams to help to control it but nothing has helped the itch that accompanies this disease.... until now. She applies dermalmd psoriasis serum at night and the itching that has kept us both awake goes away.
  • Posted

Hi Masuka, I have psoriatic arthritis, but the psoriasis is not nearly as bad as yours.  After many meds I have ended up with Enbrel for the arthritis.  It works for me.  As a side benefit, it makes my psoriasis go away completely.  Perhaps you could enquire whether you gp could prescribe a biologic.

Justin

• Posted

Musuka I have suffered from it for 40 years, but 3 months ago I got a new ointment called DiproSalic prescribed by the practice nurse and what a difference it has made no flacking no scabbing my skin is as smooth as a baby's bum. It contains Betamethasone and Salicylic Acid. I now only need to use a moisturiser called Cetraben so speak to your doctor and give it a try I have lost count of the number of creams and lotions that I have used over the years . Good luck and I hope it works for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.