Psoriasis or not?

Posted , 4 users are following.

It is extremely hard to get an appointment at my GP especially for something little, so I was looking to see if you guys think I might have psoriasis. I have a small red itchy patch on the side of my foot that seems to be getting bigger, it is a little scaley but not silvery, no other patches that I have noticed so far. I am also under diagnosis for AS which is an autoimmune disease if that helps

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katy, 

I appreciate it is difficult, but your really need an appointment with a GP in the first instance, who then should be able to refer you on to a Dermatologist if they also suspect psoriasis.  In the meantime, you could maybe pop to your local Pharmacy and see if there is any cream that they can give you over the counter to help?

Good luck x

• Posted

Katy

My PsA started with a small area of Psoriasis no bigger than the nail of my little finger. they started steriod creams and the PS spread to a life changing condition at below thirty years old. Granted most may not be the case here,

Try using E45 CREAM and Aquatious cream. Epiderm works well and helps the skin retain moisture. Try this for a short period of time so the skin can retain its thickness and does not thin.

See your GP, he will suggest steriod ointments and tar type shampoos, the former can thin the skin and extend the area effected. Hence the reason for you using above creams.

If you have Ps waiting some time may not be a bad idea, using moisturising creams before going the full hog.

Your GP when you make your appointment will refer you to a Dermatologist, they follow a well trodden pathway.

I stopped using the multitude of creams and ointments and I still have Ps the difference is the redness of the Ps has reduced and the skin is slowly getting back some of the thickness lost.

Treating Ps from the early outlook sometimes will confirm what the condition is, it may just be dry skin or some other problem like Exma etc. You have nothing to loose trying aforementioned moisturisers.

When you wash your hair or taking baths or showers use moisturisers like honey shampoos or coconut shampoos, the same applies to the shower jells used on your body. Some perfumes can also effect the skin with a redness if the stuff is not suitable for your skin Perfume can have some astringent properties as can under arm sprays. Use rollons instead, look for moisture retaining rollons they help and keep the skin moist.

Showers are better than bathing in a bath the latter is more efficient in removing oils from the skin. Remember it is very important you retain that moisture in your skin.

Sometimes if we bathe more than once or twice a week that will also effect the natural moistures in your skin.

BOB

• Posted

It's also worth mentioning that SLS (sodium laureth sulphate) which is in my products, including shower gels and bubble bath, and aqueous cream is a well known irritant. If poss, you could try sls free. Aqueous cream (sls free) is a good soap substitute for washing.

My dermatologist recommended using an emollient (epaderm or hydromol), these can be used not only as a moisturiser, but can be dissolved in bath water, if you prefer baths to showers.

It would be still worth having a chat with a pharmacist or gp, as what works for one person doesn't always work for another. It can take time to find products that work for you.

• Posted

Should say "in most products"

• Posted

Sometimes GP's arent that great.  My psoriasis was diagnosed by my barber.

You should see a dermatologist if it is bothering you.

• Posted

In the UK, you would see your GP first, who would most likely try various creams etc, then if they don't help or it has got worse, the GP would refer on to Dermatology. (That has been my experience).

• Posted

Shaz

Steriod creams have caused me some real headaches with the thinning of the skin that is why I would look at overcounter creams mentioned above. Thinning of skin can become a really bad problem especially if the creams are used on the face etc.

Salic Acid sometimes is used in Dermatology or GP practice, various strengths are used and as it says on the label it is an acid and if it is not applied in a hospital ward and removed quickly can really make a mess around the effected area.

That is why I suggest to try a less problematic treatment before going to see the GP straight away. If is is Ps it will let you know soon enough without the worry of strong applications

BOB

• Posted

I know all about steroid creams, unfortunately, that seems to be the way that the gp and my dermatologist went, before I was eventually given MTX. I had months of experimenting with various topical treatments. It would be good if you didn't have to do the ladder approach, but we aren't there yet!

• Posted

Shaz

I cannot take DMARDS so given that as fact I cannot be given Biologics either.

Well and trully stuck, I am getting on a bit and was told Ps and PsA can go in a perminent remission in our fiftees, now I am nearly sixty seven and still limping around, with my Tramadol and Cox 2s.

Life and Psa is one nasty puppy

BOB

• Posted

Thankfully the MTX is helping so I haven't had to go onto Biologics!

• Posted

Shaz great. In the UK the Biologics are given on top of the preffered DMARD. It is a real jolly mixture

BOB

• Posted

I should be discussing treatment when I go back in a couple of months, although she has never suggested giving anything to take in addition to the MTX.

But as I am under the care of the hospital that developed Epaderm, I am more than satisfied with just MTX and emollients, with a bit of betnovate through in for good measure

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.