Psoriatic Arthritis- advice on supporting my partner and natural route

Posted , 8 users are following.

My fiance has been dignoised with sporiatic Arthritis after a sauage finger and some other joint issues.  He has a small patch of psoriasis when he was a child but nothing since then.  His uncle did have psoriasis though.

?

He's had one steriod injection which has helped majority of his joint swelling (bar the finger) and has been put on Sulfasalazine.

He's recently gotten a nasty fever and his GP advised to come off the meds.  We have called his rheumatology department in Hillingdon 4 times, left three messages and still the doctor doesn't call back to advise what to do about the meds.  Also the last we saw his rheumatologist she said he should get an injection directly into his finger to improve that, but his appointment was back in mid-november and they've booked him for the injection 18th jan!  is this right- should he be waiting two months for it?

He's now getting very depressed and I want to support him in any way I can.  He would like to try some natural routes as he already is on daily thyroxine tablets for his thyroid and pumping more chemicals into his body isn't ideal and currently Sulfasalazine isn't helping as he's getting sick.  

Does anyone recommend a good rheumatology department in the south west? has anyone gone down a herbal route and seen results.... please help! 

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Generally if your boyfriend has had problems with Sulphasalazine they would give Him a blood test to check His white blood cell count, this should be done on a frequent basis while on the DMARD.

You can also have Steriod injections in the Thigh and that should help control the PSA. The injection into the finger will help the joint.

If the Hospital has stopped the Sulphersalazine you stop the drug and await His next appointment. These medications effet the immune system so you need the blood tests, His GP can take bloods for this if He feels it is needed. It is possible they will perform the test in 2017.

Two months for a review is quite good and I would be relieved I was not taking the drug over Christmas.

They will I imagine introduce another drug of the same family in January.

When it comes to natural remedies it can cause a problem, you must tell the Rhum or Nurse what you are doing because the DMARD or BIOLOGIC can cause problems. Stay with the drugs on offer.

I gather He is not showing the skin complaint at this time and it is the joints that are causing His Problems. 

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.