Psoriatic arthritis without the Psoriasis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there. New here. I was previously diagnosed with RA, then I relocated and was rediagnosed with Sjögren’s as my main rheumatic disease. I’m also hypothyroid. 

I used to have terrible eczema and pomphplyx but these seemed to disappear with menopause. Then the inflammatory arthritis (seronegative) arrived and it took 8 months of polyarthritis to get diagnosed with RA.

I’ve tried 5 DMARDs over a 7 year period and had severe skin reactions (anaphylaxis) to two, nausea and pancreatitis with other two. Four months ago I was taken off Mycophenolate for worsening tremors and small fibre neuropathy - and no improvement after 15 months. 

Now I’m told it’s wait and watch and a familiar pattern is emerging - intense groin and sacroilliac pain with sausage digits on the tip of both hands with loads of pain in all peripheries. My nails are discoloured with strange dark spots and tinged with yellow - although I’m assured this isn’t fungal each time I ask GP. The dermatologist says connective tissue disease and the vascular/ Scleroderma doctor says probably ageing (I’m 55). 

My first cousin has PsA without Psoriasis so it has occurred to me more and more that I might have a mild version of the same along with my confirmed Sjögren’s. 

Question - only my finger pads and area around nail are red and swollen  - and it seems under the skin rather than on the surface. Does this sound like mild PsA without the Psoriasis possibly or would I have the odd patch and much more visible joint swelling? 

I see my rheumatologist in late August and plan to ask but meanwhile I’m in a lot of pain and have high inflammatory markers and yet no visible swelling or redness at all apart from my finger pads. I don’t think it’s my neuropathy because it stings a lot to type and affects my top finger joints and tips of the nail beds on each finger. Toes have hard crusts of dry skin on the joints too. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, the symptoms you describe with your fingers is not something I've come across. That's not to say it isn't but only Rheumy will be able to say for sure. I have pitting and ridges on my nails but they are not sore.

Sorry I can't help more x

• Posted

Thanks this is really helpful. I saw my physio today who feels that my lower back and pelvic pain aren’t related to a mechanical source but are internal ie due to some kind of Neuralgia, ovarian problems or even Cauda Equina.  I asked her about finger pain which she thinks is more the RA muscle and tendon/ ulnar drift and Sjögren’s neuropathy combined. So your comments help my search for answers a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.