PSTEROID WITHDRAWAL FROM SHORT TERM USE EXIST!! (Prednisone/dexamethasone /methylprednisolone)

Posted , 2 users are following.

A series of unfortunate events ...

Just this past December (2021) I used a percussion gun massager on my back. Well it seemed to irritate the nerves in my back, I think it was much too aggressive. A day after using it i got all sorts of firey nerve pains from my back into my legs. After a couple days I was in too much pain to sleep so i headed to the ER, i was seen and given Torodol and 10MG Dexamethasone via IV (steroid similar to prednisone but MUCH stronger). Pain reduced some and was able to sleep. Over the course of the following few days i went back and forth to ER because the pain would get too unbearable at night. They ended up running MRIS and tests to make sure nothing was severely damaged and each time they administered more Torodol and dexamethasone steroid. one of the visits they actually gave me the steroid and torodol as a shot.

I began to feel back to normal, i left the Hospital on a Sunday night, felt great Monday but by Tuesday I CRASHED HARD. I was feeling like i could collapse, fever with profuse sweating, rapid heart rate, diarrhea, flushed skin, dizzy, feeling drugged/disoriented barely able to think, so i called for an ambulance. I was transported to a different ER but they were so full it was going to be at least 24hr wait.

i was picked up and went back to the ER that i had previously been going to, it crossed my mind the medication caused this so I told them i thought this might be a steroid withdrawal from what they had been giving me but they said it wasnt a withdrawal it was just "side effects" so they gave me an IV BAG of fluids which helped some suprisingly and i was sent home that Tuesday night.

So from Wednesday to Friday I began to decline RAPIDLY, , i was emotional and sobbing, feeling all sorts of intense and unexplainable emotions . I was having trouble communicating, my mental status was waaaaay off, and I KNEW IT WAS A WITHDRAWAL.

I had been through a hellish Gabbapentin withdrawal a few yrs back and it felt similiar except this time my body actually felt as if it would COLLAPSE like it was going to shut down completely!! I was plagued with EXCRUCIATING joint pains and felt like i was deteriorating, I went back up to the ER a total wreck and told the doctor I am going through a steroid withdrawal from all the steroids I had been given here previously.

He IMMEDIATELY AGREED and said "excuse my language but you probably feel like s**t" but no worries "its an easy fix". he gave me 10MG MORE dexamethasone via IV and an IV FLUID BAG, i was back to myself almost instantly. He prescribed prednisone for me to taper and said some people need to taper off to avoid these problems.

TO BE CONTINUED (it gets WORSE) ...

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hey, I'm currently experiencing prednisone withdrawals.

I took it for 2 months. Quit cold turkey. It's been 3 months since my last dose, and I'm still nowhere near recovery.

My question to you is, how much time did it take for you to fully recover?

And what where ALL the symptoms you experienced during withdrawal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.