PSVT in the wild

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm a 24 years old man.

I have approximately one episode per month, BUT they do not occur in winter at all, and rarely in autumn. They do not give me anything but palpitations, abnormally high heart rate and fear. Despite their presence, I travel, cycle, excersise, etc. because doctors say my heart is in a good shape - ECG and echo reveal no abnormalities.

I use vagal maneuvers and beta-blockers for cardioversion. Sometimes I can't stop SVT on my own, so I need an injection of antiarrhythmics - the doctors say if it lasts more that 2 hours I should call an ambulance.

The question is - what to do if another episode occurs in the wild - mountains, forest, remote countryside - anywhere to where the ambulance won't come?

I do not consider RFA, because the episodes are too rare.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Has anyone experienced a PSVT episode in the wild?
  • Posted

Hello,  

If the svt is interferring with your lifestyle then I would consider an ablation depending on advice from your physiologist.  I have related my circumstances on this site a couple of times so I shall not repeat them again.  However I was also informed I had a healthy heart, but the svt although not presistant was a real nuisance and was slowly getting worse.  Since my ablation 2 years and 6 months ago I have suffered no recurrence.  You have a decision to makle.    Regards.

• Posted

Hi, 2hours seems a long time to wait to call an ambulance... i find the advice given by doctors to be very conflicting as i'm usually told after about 15 minutes to call! How high does your heart rate and does it last 2 hours? I can't help you with being out in the wild, I will hardly leave my home city for the fear of one happening cry   

• Posted

This isn't long - I had a 4 hours long episode last summer, and I felt pretty good, only annoyed.

Heart rate jumps above 200 bpm only if I'm scared of them - when I manage to calm down, heart rate decreases to 150-180.

Maybe your doctor has reasons to advice you this, don't know.

Nevertheless, there's nothing to be afraid of while ambulance is able to reach you - you can always stop, sit down and call 911 wink

• Posted

At your age I would advise an ablation. I cancelled a trip to Europe recently for fear of being on the flight and having an attack. As young as you are the risk of an ablation is very minor and then you could live your life without fear of being remote somewhere and having an attack. 
    • Posted

I studied the question of flights too.

You can always ask flight attendants for help in this case - they know what to do. They also have special equipment to convert arrhythmias.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.