PSVT/SVT Diagnosis - How do they really know?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello.  I'm new to the group, so glad to have found this support group.  I recently had my first "ER" PSVT experience 2 weeks ago.  Prior to that, I'd never heard of PSVT.  however I do have genetic heart disease in my family (great grandfather, grandfather died of heart attack, dad has had stints as well as my uncle).  I've always had heart flutters and a couple of times I've had resting heart rate of 100-120 (my apple watch has shot me warnings) however no other symptoms associated. 

I'm fairly athletic - I'm a runner (never a marathon - only for 30 min cardio) - I LOVE spin, and I also indulge in crossfit a couple times a week.  About a month ago I decided to try a "workout enhancement" called "Thrive".  It's basically a 3 step system - you take a capsule when you first wake up, drink a shake 20-40 mins later, and then put this patch on.  There is coffee bean extract and some other stuff in the patch.  It really did enhance my workout, but the 3rd week I was on it I was taking a competitive spin class and pushed myself pretty hard - at the end of the workout my heart beat got "stuck" at 180.  I got off the bike and went into the lobby - receptionist gave me a cold rag that I put on my face - it went away instantly.  It freaked me out so I stopped the work out supplements and had only been on it a few weeks.  5 days later (2 Wednesday's ago) I was getting dressed for work and my heart rate shot up.  I got really dizzy and panicked, went down stairs and put ice on my neck and face.  It didn't help - so I called 911.  When paramedics came they captured my heart rate at about 135-140 and took me into the ER.  ER doc said everything was normal - gave me a bag of IV fluid and sent me home.  I actually thought maybe I was dehydrated.  Went home and within 15 minutes it came back, so went back to ER - my heart rate was stable by the time I got there so he gave me some proponalol and put a heart monitor on me.  I took 2 doses of proponalol and it made me SO TIRED - I slept on and off for 2days.  The monitor didn't pick anything up either.

Went to cardiologist 2 days later - he suspects PVST.  I had vacation with my family scheduled a few days following my appt with him, so he told me to go on vacation and take a proponalol 1 hour before my flight (5.5 hour flight over ocean).  I took half a pill and I feel like it made me much worse - it made me paranoid and just very strange for the first few hours until it finally settled and then I felt pretty relaxed.  I'm still on vacation - got sun burned yesterday, felt dehydrated and faint - it triggered an attack.  My resting heart rate got up to 145-150, so went into ER and they gave me metoprolol - did all the checks, ECG and blood work was normal.  The ER DR here told me not to think so much about heart attack (honestly, it's really hard not to - it's scary).  He gave me a script of metoprolol but told me to take it only as needed - not everyday.

My question is - how do Dr's really know it's PSVT or SVT?  It's so similar to cardiac arrest and heart attack.  I get an ECHO done next Tuesday after I'm home from vacation, and will also wear a monitor for a couple weeks to try and catch the episodes.  I have no idea if we will get enough data from the monitor, and what the ECHO will show  - was anyone else scared like me on the diagnosis being incorrect?  I guess I've survived them so far, but my concern is that this may just be a sample to something more serious.

Thoughts?  Thanks for any feedback/responses.  It's difficult to come to terms with this bc it seemed to have happened overnight.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

had my first SVT in 2000, had it the past 18 years, I had no treatment for the first 17 years, this year went onto metoprolol because it got worse the episodes were going 4-14 hours. 30% of the population have SVT whether you have heart disease in your family or not was told by my cardiologist. some people are born with the extra pathway
    • Posted

Thanks for the response, Penny - wow, 30% of the population has SVT?  That's incredible!  I do recall my heart racing even as young as 18 - once I took the "nodoze" pills - I just remember it making me feel restless with a racing heart and paranoid.  My heart races when I get nervous before a presentation at work, etc - but goes away quickly and I've never had the side effects (dizzy, dry mouth - these seem to come on when I have an attack and I also have an urge to goto the bathroom which is really odd - this has happened twice).  I'm eager to see my cardiologist next week to start figuring out next steps.

• Posted

I understand how you are feeling. I had what I think was my first SVT on 2/8/18. I had noticed my heart racing about 2 hours. When I started feeling faint and broke out in a cold sweat 911 was called. The EMTs had EKGs showing my heart rate at 166. My bp was really low because my heart wasn't pumping efficiently. They tried vagal maneuvers that didn't work and couldn't administer medication because they couldn't get a line in me.

When they wheeled me out to the ambulance it was very cold and they think that is what shocked my system back unto normal rhythm again. Tests (wore a holtor monitor, exercise stress test echo) showed I had 2000 extra beats a day. Some close together. They think that threw my heart rate off. Was diagnosed with AVNRT. Had a heart ablation 4 weeks ago. They found and ablated 5 spots in my heart. I have my follow up with the cardiologist tomorrow. I should get more details then. It is scary. I also worried about it being or causing a heart attack. You are not alone. It is surprising how common it is. My cardiologist said he does 250 ablations a year.

• Posted

Sher - yes, I think the cold does help tremendously.  I'm trying to figure out triggers - and I've discovered dehydration is a big one since I work out so much.  I've also started drinking chamomile tea just to stay calm.  

What is AVNRT?

I'm am simply floored with how common it seems to be - I'd never even heard of it being a condition before.  Pls keep in touch - I'd like to know how your healing process goes.  I'm impressed at how soon you decided to get the ablation from your diagnosis - I'm also contemplating that route bc my cardiologist said the meds will make me feel like "crap" since I like to stay active.

• Posted

AVNRT- AV nodal reentrant tachycardia (AVNRT), or atrioventricular nodal reentrant tachycardia. It is the most common type. The cardiologist told me that I was really close to checking out during my attack and that he was pretty certain I would continue to get attacks based on my test results. He said that the ablation was the best option and thought the sooner the better. I will post after my appointment tomorrow
    • Posted

I am hoping to get more info about my extra heart beats tomorrow. Not sure why I have the extra beats but they think two or three of the extra beats close together either the 166 beats per minute caued the episode.
    • Posted

Hi Sher - there are so many different types of "SVT's" - my cardiologist suspects PSVT but I undergo tests early next week (ECHO, monitor, etc).  I actually went back and read your first post - I can't believe your Dr said you "almost checked out".  My cardiologist said that my situation was scary but not dangerous, and doesn't believe there is any blockage at all, etc.  I was even concerned about coming to Hawaii for a planned family vacation before getting tests done, and he said just to pop a pill before the flight and that I'd be fine.  He also said that ablation was not a big deal, but my PCP felt otherwise.  My PCP is an internal medicine Dr, so she'll always be "pro medication" - she told me her dad has severe SVT and has been on beta blockers now for 15 years.  I may get a second opinion but if I have another attack, I'll opt for the ablation.

How was your experience with the procedure?  

Looking forward to hearing back - hugs to you.

Jenny

• Posted

The cardiologist definitely got my attention! The procedure wasn't too bad. I have been a bit tiered and had some noticeable palpations. Others have shared it takes about 3 months for your heart to settle down after the procedure.

• Posted

My appointment went well. He told me that the extra loop path was treated and I should not have any more episodes. He said that it the procedure does not stop the extra beats but those beats won't kick off an SVT. They did an EKG which was good. I do feel the extra beats once in a while. He said they may get better in a couple of months. He offered to do another holter monitor but since it it is normal at this point we left it aa an option for the future. I guess sometimes people have the procedure done more than once. I also got a copy of the procedure report. They were easily able to stimulate my heart and identify the loop. After the ablation they tried to get my heart to go into AVNRT three times and it did not happen. I go back in six months for another follow up.

• Posted

Fantastic! I see my cardiologist Tuesday for echo and to get the monitor.....eager to kick off the process and begin my healing journey. Will let you know how it goes.
  • Posted

I'm sure it's not a heart attack..  Especially being you went to the ER.  When you go to the ER, they do the EKG on your heart and they should have done blood work on you too.  Both of which will show signs of a heart attack, if it would have been a heart attack.  If it was just an STV, there will be no evidence on the EKG if the attack/episode is over before they run the test.  An SVT will not show in blood work at all.  Now.. if you were still in the SVT attack while they were doing the EKG at the hospital, it will show and they will know that it was a SVT/PSVT attack right away.  

• Posted

Hi Melissa - that is what my husband keeps telling me, too.  The only time they caught the increased resting heart rate was when the paramedics were at my house a couple weeks ago - but at the time, I couldn't pinpoint if it was bc they were actually at my house and I was so shocked I had to call 911 (honestly, I never even go to the ER let alone urgent care) - but they did get my pulse above 130 while laying down.  I went into the ER 2 times that day - I would say it was also associated with my confusion and stress.  I saw the cardiologist 2 days after but the halter monitor they put on me didn't catch an episode but then again I had take propanolol (2 doses in less than 24 hours) which just made me sleep for a couple days.

What treatment are you on or have you had?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.