PSYCH APPOINTMENT

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have an appointment with a mental health practitioner on tuesday letter says its for assesment not treatment, can anyone tell me if this is a psychiatrist and what I can expect.

Really hoping to get some relief from all the anxiety I suffer on a daily basis, I dont think IM depressed, so fed up with life at the moment, normally i would be out shopping at this time but just feel mentally and physically worn out, fed up with it all 7mnths and 6 different antidepressants nothing lifts it, sorry, about rambling having a really bad day today.

Danielle

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Danielle

I think your appointment will be to assess your symptoms and medication needs rather than be actual therapy.I think anxiety is worse than depression,I totally understand how bad you must be feeling.I dont think my problem now is depression its bouts of anxiety and they stop me from living.Im thinking of you ,we will get through

Jox

ps

sometimes I think they just try one anti d after another until they strike lucky,its not an exact science is it ?!

• Posted

Hi Jo, I also think anxiety is worse than depression, its the anxiety that stops me doing the things I want to do that gets me down, I have 4 grandchildren and want to spend quality time with them and it hurts so much that I cannot even stand the sound of there voices, I know you have been through a really hard time and had children to cope with I so admire you for that, and your job, bringing much loved babies into the world, it must be so rewarding. I have not worked for years I am a succesfull show and dog breeder, at the moment I have 5 adorable 5 week old puppies that would normally of all been sold by now, but the thought of people coming to view, I cannot cope with at the moment, I know this is not the road to go down but this afternoon I have drank a bottle of wine, just to give me some relief from the feelings, have had a massive row with my husband, he is so supportive but its not enough to rid this thing that racks my body and mind day and night. Thanks for taking the time to read and wishing you well,

Love

Danielle x

• Posted

Hi people, I have an appointment too, I am worried. What should I expect? does anyone know?
  • Posted

Hi there everyone. I dont think there is a set pattern to a psychiatric assessment unless there is a clear goal in mind ie to decide whether to section you or admit you to hospital. Assessments might have many goals in mind. Last September I had a serious depressive relapse. I went to see a consultant psychiatrist of my own choosing privately. He assessed my mental state and upped my meds immediately and added in mirtazapine. I hadn't seen him before so part of the hour long session was to get to kn ow me. He assessed my suicidal intent and my general ability to perform day to day tasks. I was very paranoid so this was discussed as well. I had to go back in a month and have been seeing him every six weeks ever since. He told me to contact him if I needed to via his secretary if I felt any worse. He was unusual in the fact that he also suggested things that I should do to relieve the situation. This is very unusual as psychiatrists dont usually tell their patients what to do! Thankfully I became much better I am still wondering what would have happened if I hadn't. I hope this is of some use to you Danielle. All assessments are different. He might be assessing you with clear treatment goals in mind.
  • Posted

Best wishes for today Danielle we are all thinking about you. Hope it all goes well . Pooh.
  • Posted

Hi Everyone and thanks for your well wishes, My appointment was with a psych nurse that lasted an hour, she couldnt tell me if she thought the restless aggitation thing was side effects of mirt or anxiety. I told her this was not like any anxiety I had experienced before, so now I am on a 2-3 week waiting list to see a psychiatrist to have my meds reviewed, unless theres a cancellation before. Im very tempted not to take mirtazapine tonight to see how I feel tomorrow, I am taking 15mg and only restarted to take it again 3weeks ago any suggestions.

Take Care Everyone

Danielle.

p.s Charlie girl, I know what you mean about being able to feel the akathisia in the face, my hubby says he doesnt need to ask how im feeling , he knows when im not feeling well because it shows in my face!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.