Psychiatrist and a counsellor or therapist at the same time??

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been to a psychiatrist and all he did was ask about medical history, how I feel, family history and then prescribed me meds.

I thought that they were suppose to do some theraphy session with us and counselling and guidance.

All he did was screen me and dished out meds and said to check back in 2 weeks. Gave me a pat on the shoulder and told me to take it easy and not to worry.

I don't know if this is how psychiatrists everywhere are normally suppose to act or what?

How do you guys usually do this? I need some advice on how to go about this.

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    Psychiatrists help with medication

    Psychotheripists deal with councelling and guidance


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Exactly what  lillie wrote. Psychologist do talk therapy. Psychiatrist do pills and let you talk but they arent always interactive. 


    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      So I should see a psychiatrist for the meds and a psychologist for the theraphy involving talking and working out a way to curb my anxiety?

      Is it ok to do that? Do I need to tell my psychiatrist that I'm also seeing a psychologist?

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      The best thing is to see cbt specialist and a psychologist. Sometimes some cbt specialist do both. There are good ones out there and there are bad ones. Always go by how you feel and do not tell yourself its okay not to feel comfortable. When you have the right specialist it feels good and they talk with you and work things out with you. Any specialist that seems sidetracked,discusses themselves most  of your session,  or responds here and there is best to leave them. You want interaction. This is about your healing and your healing only.  you can ask your physchiatrist about teaching you cbt too and doing talk therapy. Some dont. Some say meds all the way and nothing else will from those.They just give out pills and say call me if you need me kind of thing. Depends in the specific doctor. 
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up