Psychiatrist has refused me my bipolar meds 3x now, I'm afraid she will do it again.. What to do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm extremely new to these board pages. So, please do bear with me. Over the passed year, my psychiatrist has refused me my bipolar medication 3 different times, for a month's time frame each. Now, if I was single and didn't have a normal life to try to live and without my children...I'm going to guess my concern wouldn't be so high. The first time it happened, you could say it was my fault. I am on lithium, and I am required blood work every 2-3 months. That time I had genuinely forgotten. Forgetting kind if happens to me a lot, but I am in no way dismissing my lack of following direction. I spent the next week with severe symptoms of withdrawal, and the rest of the month with my mind and body in a complete tizzy. My husband took my children and stayed with his parents, and I fought with myself to just keep it together until the doctor got my lab report back and I could finally have my medication. A few months later, the same scenario happened, except I DID get my blood work done! Apparently, they could not find the right department to get my lab report back to them, so again my life was turned upside down and my family had to leave me. I vowed to myself that this would absolutely NEVER happen again, I'd be on top of everything. After all, I literally depend on this medication to live as normal of a life as I can. This medication keeps my children with me, this medication makes it so I can drive without having to pull over and cry or pull over and have someone come get me. This medication makes it so I do not feel like a frightened dog in a severe thunderstorm with no thunder vest or safety in sight. This medication makes it so I can function right, I am not the only one who needs that. Now the third and most recent time Mrs. Psychiatrist pulled this, I always count my meds to make sure I'll have enough to make it from appointment to appointment, she moved my appointment 2 weeks out. I was not going to have enough medicine to make it. I called and made sure she knew I wasn't going to make it. I was told "it's only a week, you'll be fine.", but I wasn't fine. Three days into that week, I drove (barely) across town, to the doctors office. Shaking, barely able to see, forming a full sentences was even an issue, my breathing was even interrupted. I begged for a prescription and was told there was nothing they could do for me, I was handed a form that one of the office staff filled out. He told me to go to the emergency room and just hand them the form and they would do the rest. I spent 3 hours in so much confusion, I didn't realize they gave me a month's worth of the medicine I needed. I spent the next few days "recovering" and my psych appointment arrived. I was still so upset about what my family had to go through, as I walked into the office, she asked me how I was. I told her the situation and she looked at me, and blamed ME!!! She told me that I missed my last appointment, which when she claims I missed my appointment, I didn't even have one! I double and triple checked with my calenders and the front desk. She also claimed I did not get my blood work AGAIN, which I also checked with the front desk..they had that too! I made a complaint against the doctor, but I'm not even sure if it will help. Has anyone had any similar experiences? What did you do? Should I get a lawyer? These are lifetime medications for me, can she really cut my life into pieces any time she feels like it?? I'm SO scared to go through that again, and switching doctors is not an option, I love my therapist which are tied together by the office firm.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like a change of Dr is probably the wisest thing to do
  • Posted

Hi Cassie,

I agree that a new doctor is in order. As you know you will have to comply with the Litihium blood work every 2-3 months. I find it a small price to pay for the Lithium. I hope you get things straightened out soon. The best of luck to you Cassie.

• Posted

Hi Cassie,

What a horrible display of medical quackery at your and your family's expense. Your doc is a dangerous ego inflated quack. Filing a compliant is the right thing to do. Not too sure if there will be much justice for you. They cover for each other their messes.

Exhaust all possibilities to locate a different doctor. Talk to your insurance company with proper documentation including time lines of each incident. Sorry you are going through this.

• Posted

I have documentation. All I need this woman for is to prescribe the medication I need, I hate the thought of having to start years of therapy all over again just to leave the clinic I go to. I'm so frustrated.

• Posted

Out of curiosity what are the names of the drugs your doctor has been withholding?

I know that there are some meds that doctors won't prescribe if you are not attending counseling sessions with them (for example Benzodiazepines)  I hope you can find a new doctor, preferably a psychiatrist who can get your meds straightened out. You're in a terrible situation. Good lock

• Posted

I do have to attend counseling in order to be prescribed medication, which I have complied with. I am currently taking Lithium, Seroquel, and Wellbutrin. Even in the situations she has put me in, my primary was also unwilling to prescribe in an emergency. He will not, because he doesn't deal in "that field". Where I live there are not many choices in doctors, and you have to see a therapist an psychiatrist at the same place. It's insane.

• Posted

I hate to suggest this but I have a friend in a similar situation. Is it possible for you to take the meds every other day so you can stash away some extras? You really are in a bind and I'm so terribly sorry. I know how it feels to need your medication. 

• Posted

I hate to say it but you need to find another doctor. Here in the US we can see a psychiatrist and therapist at different agencies. Not sure where you are located. Its not ok to withhold medication from patients especially since they prescribed it to you! If it's happened three times, I'm afraid it will happen again. You could put in a complaint but she may turn it around on you again. Unfortunately if you don't get another doctor, you'll be at her mercy. You can also try and keep detailed records - save all email correspondence, record messages and converaations, or demand all communication in writing. At least then you'll have proof.

• Posted

I live in Michigan. The town I live in, you are not able to go to two separate clinics. I've had my therapist and have searched myself to see if we could get someone to work with us and came out empty handed. The requirements here are; you see a therapist at LEAST once every 38 days in order to be seen by the attending psychiatrist, certain medications require lab testing every 2-3 months, and certain insurance plans only allow 17 visits to the clinic a year (therapy AND med reviews). I want so badly to not have to deal with her, but then I have to think about having to start years of therapy all over again. It's an insane situation and more frustrating than I can explain. I just need this woman to keep track of her paperwork and write a prescription. Like stated above, I did make a statement report... I just hope it does something.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.