Psychiatrist increased Prozac to 40mg feel feel worse

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was on 20mg of prozac for 2 weeks, during that time I had mood swings, anxiety, crying spells, depression and then it cleared up. My psychiatrist just increased my Prozac to 40mg 2 weeks ago and it didn't do anything until now. Now I am feeling so much more depressed than I did. I have no motivation and lethargic. I'm having crying spells but the depression seems worse. I also feel kind of sick in my stomach and I am really tired. Is this normal? Am I getting accustomed to the dose? Is this too high a dose? I feel better now but still feeling the symptom. Is this going to end?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I had excately the same problem as you, 20mg for two weeks then increased to 40mg, I gave it two weeks but the side effects are just too much, tierd constantly, anxious all day and feeling low, was getting really lazy sitting around all day, and the upset stomach too, so I've decreased back to 20mg myself now, the docter did tell me that it's normal to feel like this, but it's just whether or not you can handle it until it calms down, since I've decreased back to 20 I feel a lot better now. Maybe you should stick to being on 20 while your body gets used to the medicine? Hope you feel better soon.

Jo x

• Posted

Hi,

I know how you feel. I increase the dose on 40 but I was on 40 only 3 days (I can't stand it more) I returned myself on 20 and I will keep it that way until the end of week 4. Then I will ask Dr again what should I do.

It's my experience only...ask Dr again....

I asked my Dr and we returned on 20...

I have more less ups and downs but I feel better..

After all we need 6-8 weeks to feel the difference

I hope this will help....

Rgds

A

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to stay at 40mg because I have felt better gradually but still a little down and stomach pain. I think it'll pass soon?
    • Posted

Yes they should pass soon, I'd say probably within the next couple of weeks, if not then just let your docter know and go from there smile take care x
  • Posted

Just hang in there everyone. I'm not on flu but my son is. HEs been on it a year now, and managed to stay on 20 mg although was meant to increase to 40. I remember every step vividly cos I supported him all the way. The first few weeks weren't great , he had mood swings, felt worse, bad dizziness, nausea, but he found out drinking lots of water helps. Fresh air helps. Trying not to think about it all the time helps. Then around 6-8 weeks it kicks in properly. He felt really ill for a few days then suddenly much better.

anyway, now he's doing great, although still sometimes has up and down days it's not like it was before, he's back at school and keeping things in perspective, and hopefully coming off if over the summer. 

Just hang in there, it will get better. 😊

• Posted

So I should stay on 40mg? I felt very depressed a few days ago but it is getting better so that's a good sign? I hit rock bottom a few days ago but I'm not having crying spells, and I'm not napping or as lethargic. It's a very gradual process is it?
    • Posted

Stay on the course that you agree with the Dr.... If you are feeling better stay on it....
    • Posted

Best to keep in close touch with your doc. If they've upped the dose it's for a reason, but some people don't deal well with changes, even a tiny change can take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to. It's because the fluo works soooo slowly, which is important. If it worked fast you'd feel terrible. 

Try ray and stay positive. Even if you don't feel positive try and find little things every day that make you feel good, like a coffee, or a bit of sunshine...anything really. Hang onto that thought when you're feeling bad, and remember every day is a step closer to feeling much better. 😊

• Posted

Thanks all. I'm gonna stay on 40mg and wait. I'm feeling improvement.
  • Posted

I was put on 60 mgs bout 3 weeks ago for panic attacks but I still have bad crying days and can't leave the house. I too just sit with no motivation or engery.. they just seem to zone me out ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.