Psychological Symptoms Seem to Be Slowly Improving

Posted , 12 users are following.

After close to a year of dealing with depression, anxiety, intrusive thoughts, and feelings of terror, things seem to be moving in a more positive direction. I am noticing that most days, I am getting periods (sometimes a good chunk of the day) where I am my old self (laughing, animated, happy). I have had a number of close friends comment that they are seeing more of the real me.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but it is still difficult dealing with the times when I don't feel well because the symptoms can be pretty intense.

I also have lots of cramping and bloating (sometimes for days on end), which are physical manifestations of the dramatic changes happening in my body.

I do my best, during these times, to stay productive and make choices from a place of wellness.

What I want to know is this...Does my experience follow a similar trajectory to other women going through the latter stages of perimenopause?

I would love to hear some stories (especially positive ones of recovery and renewal).

Many thankssmile

5 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Well, there is light at the other end of the tunnel. It just takes a while to get there and it seems to never really be over. I started at 54 with the worse at 56, calm at 57, started again at 60 with horrible hot flashes & night sweats & even a period almost every month now. But I'm not on any medication just an otc women's herbal remedy that seems to be helping calm my over active hot flashes. I tried maca again which is truly a wonder herb but I ran out so will need to get some again.

• Posted

Hi Bev

So glad to hear that you are improving !!! 

I crashed at 41 I thought it was PTSD due to a bad accident but now I’m seeing it was all hormones . I spent days at  home doing jigsaw puzzles and yes it took months to feel normal . I always said if somebody offered me a private plane and shopping money to Paris ..... I couldn’t have gone . It was the DARKEST time of my life .... I literally lost my mind ! Could not drive or go out it was horrible .i did get through it but the panic anxiety never went away but I did feel normal apart from that . I learned to live with it . 

Now at 52 I’m going through the same thing but this time completely alone without my husband for support. I’m handling it better this time around as I know what it is but it’s still so so tough .

The darkest and weirdest you feel cannot  be explained .... it’s an awful time . 

• Posted

Your experience sounds similar to mine.  I am 51..... and for the past 2 years, I have had the same psychological issues.  After a year of therapy and active involvement in my own recovery (via meditation, mindfulness, and reading helpful materials), I can say that I feel more “myself”.  I can, however,  backpedal after months of relative success.  But I am able to find my way “back” through self care and reflection.  Still a struggle, but much better.  Thank god for this site.
  • Posted

Knowing that you are not alone is half of the battle ❤️
  • Posted

I am still getting periods...and still regular to my surprise! But the psychological symptoms were the worst. Anxiety and depression started for me in aboutb2011 and lasted many years. It was horrible...and I was pretty much home bound for aboutb5bof those years. About 16 months ago it lifted as suddenly as it came on...and mentally I am pretty much back to my old self except that I still cannot seem to focus like I used to. But I'll take it! I cannot physically do what I used to but I can now function at about 3/4 and I will take that too! It will come back. Roght now I am extremely happy that I can shop alone and drive again. I can even go out of town myself. So yes...it does lift! You will be ok in time.

• Posted

So great to hear you are doing well ! I went through the EXACT same thing as you  at 41 then again at 51 . At 41 could not leave the house and lost my mind ... got through it but was never quite the same . Could manage though .... now I’m going through it again ! 10 years later. Once my periods stopped in January everything changed .... so be prepared hopefully you don’t crash again like I have . Get your hormones checked . 
    • Posted

I am dreading it because I know so well it can flip again and it was horrible and way too long the first time. I sure hope you are back to yourself soon. Hang tight dear lady.
    • Posted

I’m not anywhere near back to normal yet and I’d be happy with half normal 🤣 . It’s just a waiting game ... days weeks and now months have gone by for me . It’s been absolute HELL I hope the rainbow is coming soon ... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.