Psychology service GP refusing to refer me

Posted , 4 users are following.

my consultant who diagnoised fibro said about treatment plans and wrote a letter to my GP in regards to being referred to a pain clinic, physio and psychology service. 

My GP who is a jobs worth is refusing to refer me to this service he says its for people who have serious mental health issues. I stated to him I wanted to see a councillor not so much a physicarigst as I'm finding it hard to cope. He's told me I can pay a small fee and see a councillor which on benefits and no spare money is not an option. Or Self referral CBT which I don't think is the right treatment.he also said that the pain clinic will refer me if they feel it's needed.  

Can an someone tell me is this GP correct? And what a psychology services really provide. Is it something that will help? I am depressed and have anxiety on the impact this has had on my life and have not really anyone to talk to how I really feel. Feeling frustrated !! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I would find out in the area you live in is there free counselling services set up. 

Yes counselling will help you talk out what is bringing your mood down and learn ways to cope better..

It is also a support system outside of  family and friends who will be neutral and listen to you without negative feedback..#

If you cannnot find a free support service ring up Ctizens Advice and see if the can give you information..

• Posted

Thank you, that's really helped I will contact citizens advise  and it is definitely outside support as there is only so much you can talk to people around you without feeling your going on and they can't fully understand how you feel. 
  • Posted

Hi Anni,

im sorry you have been palmed off like this, it's not right and doctors shouldn't do it. If you tell them you need help then that's what you need!

Laura is right, but I would try your gp again first. Go again and tell him how things affect you, how difficult things are. You really need to say things as the are even if this is difficult and upsetting for you (write things down before you go and refer to your list while talking if this helps), If you still don't get anywhere then try citizens advice, they will know of anything you can access in your area.

hope this helps and things get better for you

hugs

Boqer

• Posted

I don't know whether going back to the GP is an option. I moved to them when I moved about 6 months ago and worst mistake  I ever made they have been useless can never get an apt and when I have the two doctors I have seen have been very arrogant and unhelpful and really made me feel even awquard about going back again and I'm a time waster. I will try citizens advise thank you smile 
    • Posted

I moved recently and the first doctor I went to flatly told me he "didn't believe " in fibromyalgia and that he had no idea what my pains were, without even looking to see if I had had blood tests or anything. So I went to see another and she wasn't much better. Eventually I met someone who recommended a doctor for me...I tried her and wow, what a difference. Just the whole attitude towards me, so it's worth trying to find a good doctor if you can and I think by recommendation is the way to go if you can. She offered me a pain clinic but it's too far away and also put me down for counceling but it's a long waiting list on the nhs. On the other hand there must be some form of free counselling in your area and the CAB would know 😊
  • Posted

Hi Anni, you can self refer for treatment, they phone to assess your needs and then you wait for an appointment.

CBT is good for fibromyalgia, it helps you to alter your thought patterns which can in turn help you to focus less on the pain.

Another useful thing is mindfulness, I am going to do a free online course so you could give that a go.As there is no cure for fibromyalgia we have to learn how to manage it and both cbt and mindfulness help us to do this, along with pain meds.

Hope this helps xx

• Posted

Hi Denise,

I didn't know you could self refer, how do you go about it?

Snap, I'm doing the same mindfulness course 😊 I've found it really helpful and am enjoying it too.

• Posted

Hi, I looked at NHS services have a look for mental health. I can't remember quite what I did, whether I phoned or emailed. What they do is send out a form for you to fill in, a type of questionnaire where you mark your level of anxiety, depression etc. Someone then phones you and asks questions based on the form and they assess which type of service which will be best for you. Good luck 🍀 x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.