Psychosis and unexpected pregnancy. What is the support like?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So your already in an unstable world with anxiety, mood swings and psychosis. Just begin to live a bit more independently and avoid triggers. .....then you find out your pregnant.  

What if the voices convince you the baby is the devil ? 

What if you have an abortion and the voices won't let you live with your decision. 

What support is there, especially if you might be on your own? 

Will the anxiety etc get worse either way? 

Anyone with an experience to share would be greatfully received 

thank you 

Lisa 

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear Lisa, my heart really goes out to you.

No one can advise you on this because this is so very, very personal to each woman experiencing pregnancy, but all I can do is explain what I think, and others will say what they think, and then you can hopefully amke up your mind yourself. Please bear in mind that I am saying MY thinking and opinions on this matter, and whether you agree or not is entirely up to you, and at the end of the day, your choice is entirely yours whatever you choose.

OK, so here is what I think, and some of my personal experience -

People with psychosis, delusions, schizophrenia etc make terrible parents because we imagine all sorts of things. You might imagine your child is evil and is using mental powers to control you, and you might apply the appropriate discipline - horrific child abuse - and you will NOT know you are being cruel and frightening to an innocent child. You will assume the child is thinking bad things, you will assume the child is doing bad things, every horrible thought your mind has ever cursed you with could come to you but with your child as the perpetrator. Almost all children of parents who suffer psychosis, delusions, schizophrenia etc   report they were horribly abused, but the parents hotly deny it because they did not know they were being abusive then and still don't think so now.

I have to watch my 31 year old son constantly be so cruel to his helpless terrified 12 year old daughter and there is nothing I can do to help because she has Stockholm syndrome and will die for her Dad no matter what he does to her. He is convinced he is being an excellent good father. He is severely mentally ill. He cannot see he is wrong, so he will obviously not change his ways.

Best of luck Lisa and I hope my personal account helps you make the best decision for you.

• Posted

hi Lisa, i think you should go to your doctors as soon as you can, explain everything you have mentioned in your post,

I can totally relate to what you are going through as i suffer from many conditions you have listed, less the pregnancy,

I get lots of help, plus a home support worker, i am able to tell her once a week of whats been going on etc, and liaises very well with my doctor, as she do attend my appointments with me smile

• Posted

hi lisa i can relate to what you are going through have just had my forth child she is 12 weeks and suffer with a lot of the conditions you do but fear not there is great help available just because we have these conditions does not mean that we will be terrible parents my children are well loved and cared for and my eldest has just gone to uni so there is hope.  Go see your Gp and they will refer you to your midwife there are special teams of midwives that deal with people like us to make sure we get the correct care and safe medications im also agoraphbic had my 4 yr old at home but this was not an option this time so a special plan was put into place to deal with my severe anxiety the i was induces early but ended up having a c section after the birth the midwives were there to help when my mood dipped the intensive mental health team was there to help and was back on track in no time go to your gp explain your situation there is help you are not alone talk to them and way up your options just because we have mental health problems dosnt mean we will automatically be bad abusive parents all my children are thriveing and do well at school there is a lot of support for parents with mental health issues hope this helps take care 
    • Posted

Hi. 

Thats very reassuring. Can I ask .. Do you have good family support and do you think you would have coped with the NHS support if you were on your own? 

It seems many people aren't any worse when when they have a baby. It can even be the making of some one. I would assume the authorities would have to think the baby was at risk of harm to take it away. 

Thank you for your input 

• Posted

i do have a good partner but hes at work 13 hrs a day so i do most of it on my own and i know how terrifiying that can be when my parner had to go back to work i was doing the what ifs and panicing but my midwife and cpn where there to help me through it is hard to juggle the panic anxiety depression and a baby but your midwife and doctor will watch for things like post natal depression and psychosis these are all things that can be treated. i take mirtazapine lophepramine promethazine amertrytaline and diazapam everyday and still have support from my cpn and health visitor having a baby is a stressfull time for anyone we just have to be more aware that our mental health issues could be worse when pregnant from us doing the what ifs.  The authorities dont just take children away because you have mental health problems especially if you are aware of them and doing something about it talk to your gp and midwife they can be a great help i still speak to my midwife they will do all they can to make it as easy as possible. take care remember you are not alone 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.