Psychotic episode before surgery?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I had this weird issue about 2-3 months ago when I had an operation to my finger. Just before they put me to sleep they gave me what they said was like diazapan but a lot more powerful. All of a sudden I started to get really paranoid. I thought they were turning on me as in trying to mess with me like murder me, I then started hearing loud wind sounds. They also kept asking how I did it which I said I slammed the door on my finger but it was like they thought I was hiding the reason it happened and they were trying to get it out of me. Anyway should I be worried about that? I didn't ask them because of humiliation.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

HI

You obviously had quite a bizaar affect to the pre op meds they gave you

We are all affected differently but certainly don't be embarrassed at mentioning what you experienced

Main thing is it didn't continue post op

• Posted

HI

You obviously had quite a bizaar affect to the pre op meds they gave you

We are all affected differently but certainly don't be embarrassed at mentioning what you experienced

Main thing is it didn't continue post op

• Posted

I had an identical episode when I had received too much benedryl. Paranoia, delusions - I even thought I had died and this was the afterlife. It was terrifying.

Sounds like you were given too much of a very strong medication.

• Posted

diazepam is a relaxant and used for anxiety etc..it sounds like you were allergic to the meds you were given pre surgery..you need to tell them my relative had morphine for the first time and had the same reaction she worked as a nurse in the same hospital and she thought they were trying to kill her and became very aggressive but found out the cause was simply allergic reaction.. if it was that you need to have it recorded on your notes incase further treatment needed so hospital aware and can give different meds..if had no more episodes I would think its allergy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.